Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minersville vs. Newcastle
Which one would have the best chance at catching some wipers from a float tube? Any recommendations? I will report back on here after my trip.
[signature]
My opinion:

Newcastle.

Why? Because you can use bait at Newcastle.

Those wipers at Minersville seem to be really hard to figure out. All that we've caught just seem to be dumb luck. I think that Minersville has the potential to put out some hogs that can compete with those new state records from Newcastle -- but catching them without using bait might prove a little more difficult.

good luck.
[signature]
I understand that a 14 lb. wiper was just caught out of Minersville and an 11 lb. wiper was caught out of Newcastle toward the end of May....... Decisions? Decisions?
[signature]
It was a 14lb and a 12lb -- both from Newcastle fishing bait from the shore.
[signature]
I used to fish newcastle back in the day, pre-wiper era, and remember seeing tons of huge crawdads all over the place. I wonder if wipers eat those crawdads and this contributes to their massive size in that lake?
[signature]
Yes, They do and have been eating the crawdads. This is why the bass guys hate the wipers. They will eat just about anything including stocked 9" trout and smallmouth fry. they got rid of all the redsided shiners though. Smile

fnf[cool]
[signature]
There are a ton of wipers in minersville, I have not been down targeting them but my dad fishes it all the time and said the locals don't even show up to the lake until close to sundown. Also the inlet side of the lake is where they have been fishing for them. 5-7 lb wipers have been caught there this year. Minersville is closer and If you find the right lure it may be better than driving the extra 2 hrs to newcastle.
[signature]
It was Golden Shiners at Newcastle.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
Living down in southern Utah now, I get to fish them both quite often. If you want to catch lots of them, go to Minersville. If your after the State record, Newcastle has the edge. As for the float tube, I don't know. I catch all mine trolling from a boat.
[signature]
I have caught lots of wipers at Minersville from a float tube. Mostly by the dam. A 1/4 oz Lucky Craft red eye shiner and black wolley buggers worked well for me. Also unscented curly tail jig with Tube Dudes RC Killers work well. Color of curly tail varies.
Hope it helped.
[signature]
I say Newcastle as well agreeing with reasons stated above. Word of caution, watch the wind. I made the mistake of not watching wind forecast, once.

It can get nasty out there, especially in the afternoons.
[signature]
[quote fishinfool]... the locals don't even show up to the lake until close to sundown.
[/quote]

I think this is common for both Minersville and Newcastle. wiper activity certainly picks up in the late evening.

[quote fishinfool]5-7 lb wipers have been caught there this year. [/quote]

5-7 lb wipers were being caught at Minersville 2 years ago! This one was caught in 2015.
[image]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k32/PowerBaitHeppy/Minersville/IMG_0617_a_zpsxb92ejgl.jpg[/image]

There are big wipers in both (obviously), and people have been catching them in both. If I were to pick 1 right now to specifically target wipers, I'd choose Newcastle. But if I wanted to go fish from my pontoon and catch some quality fish with a chance at maybe picking up a wiper, I'd go to Minersville.
[signature]