Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outboard Bolt Install in Utah
I have a 25HP, power trim Evinrude (Etec) that I need someone to properly install to a 16' aluminum (20" transom). Does anyone have recommendations in the Riverton Utah area looking to get paid on the side? All marine shops are 2 weeks + out.
Retired military guy just looking to fish with my son.

email: dochollidae27@yahoo.com
text: 334-580-7373
[signature]
25hp on a 16'? I'm assuming its a tiller drive, right? Shouldnt be too heavy for a couple guys to just pick it up and set it on the transom...are you worried about connecting hardware or steering cables, or fuel line? I'm betting you could get it on there and hooked up yourself with the help of maybe one other non-mechanic friend.
I'd offer, but I'm clear up in Layton.
[signature]
Yes, tiller handle. Yes, I can lift this with my wife (its only 178 lbs.). I worry about not measuring correctly (on horizontal and vertical center), and/or, sealing the holes properly (first time owning a boat, of any type).

Unfortunately, my list of boating friends is <1 to nil (not from Utah). I was hopeful to pay someone for knowledge and assistance. I have all of the tools to do the job (I believe I do anyway).

Part # of motor is E25DGTL
[signature]
I would run over from Sandy and help, but run won't happen. I just had a knee replaced and I would not be much use to you.

But.... the last 25 horse I installed had clamp bolts already. All you had to do was to rest the motor on the transom by lowering the unit with the grove over the transom. Then once you get it close you just twist to clamp it down, normally with a wrench.

If you are within an inch or so you will not even know it is not perfect. As for vertical, you lower to the depth of the grove.

It has been some years so maybe things have changed. Take a picture of the motor and post it and let us see if we can direct you this way.
We have two guys on this board that work on boat motors, send either one a private message and see if one of them can do it.
Rich is mtncat1:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/com...me=mtncat1
Tom is Geezer:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/com...ame=GEEZER

It might depend on which one is not too busy.
By the way, welcome to the site.
[signature]
The most important measurement to take before mounting is to make sure your prop shaft is parallel, not inline, but parallel to your keel strake.
While keeping those two parallel, set your motor height by having your anti-cave plate as close to possible to being inline with the bottom of your keel.
You will know you did it right when you are on plane and look overboard and can see only the top half of your anti-cav plate.
With help, set your motor skeg on a block of wood and use your trailer jack to raise or lower your transom to the sweet spot.
As for sealant use LifeCalk. It stinks but I have never used anything better.
Do NOT use 3m 5000.
[signature]