Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington Creek
Hey everyone. I am camping the weekend of June 30 at Old Folks Flat Campground on Huntington Creek. I have never been to this area and I'm having trouble finding info on current conditions. Does anyone know what the runoff situation is on this part of the creek. Thanks.
[signature]
The runoff is starting to wind down and Electric Lake has stopped spilling so the Right Hand Fork should be okay to fish. Because of the fire several years ago the lower portion of the river does not have many (if any) fish in it.[:/]

The upper portion of the Left Hand Fork will have fish along with the Right Hand Fork. The Right Hand Fork above Engineers Canyon is fly fishing only and the Left Hand Fork is fly & lure only. From Electric Lake to Engineers Canyon is about 5 miles. Below Engineers Canyon general fishing regulations apply. There is still a lot of water coming down the Left Hand Fork because Mammoth, Cleveland, & Millar Flat are still spilling.

Good Luck when you go.
[signature]
Don't neglect the feeder streams of the left fork. They can be fun also , with a few nice cutthroats. They get over looked because they are small. One good spot is the rolfson creek, There is a trail that takes off the road between Cleveland and millers flat (there is a forest service service bathroom there. That trail is an improved easy walk and will lead you down to the upper left fork. It's one of my favorite areas there.
[signature]
Thanks for the information guys! I head down this weekend. I will make a report when I get back. Thanks again.
[signature]
I made it down there this weekend. I was about 7 miles down from electric lake. I ended up only had a couple hours to fish, I caught about 10 cuts. I fished nymphs in the deeper runs. I didn't have my phone on me so I didn't get any pics. I will definitely have to get back and fish there again, what a cool area. Thanks for the info guys.
[signature]
I just got back from there myself. We were at site 2 from Sunday to Tuesday.
[signature]
Did you fish?
[signature]
[quote gofish435]Did you fish?[/quote]

Yep hit Huntington reservoir on Monday and then Huntington creek for a couple hours Monday night. Caught a couple tigers at the res then a small cutthroat in the creek.
[signature]
Thanks for the report.

Huntington Reservoir has been off and on this year so far but at least you can get out of the heat.

Huntington Canyon is a nice place to camp and relax.
[signature]
Hi All,

I have been doing some research on Huntington Creek after the fire and was looking for some advice.

My dad and I used to go every summer when we lived in Utah and we haven't been back since moving to Arizona in 2003.

I am trying to plan a trip in September for my dads 50th to take him back for the first time.

I understand there is fish in the fly only zones but has anyone had luck below Flood and Engineers canyon? And are the fly only zones still in good shape?

I mostly just want to make sure that even though it won't be fishing like the old days, that the trip will still be worth it to relive all of those old memories.

As always if you don't want to give too much info feel free to send me a PM. Not looking for anyone's spot!

Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
[signature]
First of all welcome to the forum.

There are fish in the fly only section above Engineers Canyon and there are some starting to spread downstream. There are also some fish in the Left Hand Fork (fly & lure) but the flows are still kind of high for this time of year but still fishable. You can also access the Left Hand Fork from a trailhead between Cleveland and Miller Flat Reservoir. There is a decent trail all the way down to the Forks Campground. I'm sure since you have fished the river before that the same flies and nymphs will work for you now.

You will be able to catch some fish but just brace yourself for how different the river looks because of all the floods coming down since the fire. It is really Sad to see what was a Blue Ribbon Stream turn into high cut banks, log jams, and debris.[:/]

I've attached a link to the Emery County Water Conservancy web site that gives flows from the upstream reservoirs.

I hope you have a great trip.[Smile]
Good Luck!

[url "http://www.ewcd.org/reservoirs/upper-huntington-drainage-teacups/"]http://www.ewcd.org/reservoirs/upper-huntington-drainage-teacups/[/url]
[signature]
Cool Albinotrout, we were in site 1. we were there from Friday to Sunday (6/30 to 7/2). I will definitely get back there again.
[signature]
By the way, does anybody know what kind strain of cuts are in Huntington creek? I assumed they were bonnies but I caught one that was very red that looked like a Colorado. I am doing the cutthroat slam and was curious what strain I was catching. Thanks.
[signature]
[quote BigCountryUT]Cool Albinotrout, we were in site 1. we were there from Friday to Sunday (6/30 to 7/2). I will definitely get back there again.[/quote]

We barely missed you then. We got there Sunday afternoon.
[signature]