Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake 2 Day Trip Day 2
Wednesday morning, got moving a bit earlier and headed from the Lehi hotel to Lincoln Beach. Boat on the water about 8:30. Out the channel and had a on the water meet with TubeDude and BLK in BLK's boat. TD snuck in a photo, so I returned the favor. But I think TD needs to reset the time on his camera, it is about 1 hour fast.. [laugh]. Wife and I got our lines set, as TD and BLK slowly drifted off to the south-east. Baited up our lines with some cut WB from the day before at AF, and some of the carp saved from Benson Marina last month. (Wife said that carp meat was really stinky [Tongue] )
Lines set less than 30 minutes, Wife hauls in a pretty respectable 24 inch Cat.
One objective of this trip was to replace some of the way-points in my new GPS, so headed for Bird Island, south side. Where again shortly after getting anchor down and lines set, wife boats another 23.5 inch Cat. I told her she needs to get on BFT and sign up for the Cat Contest next year cuz she has out Catfished me about 10 to 1 this year so far.
OK, saw heads and shoulders of some folks on the north side of BI, and they looked to be having a pretty regular Cat harvest. So moved around to the north side, and slightly up inside the pocket but kept about 75 yards from the other boat. And again, the wife gets the first hit. Now so far all I've done is drive the boat, set the anchor, get snagged up, snap off my line a couple times, tie some new hooks, unhook the wife's cats, and take photos of HER fish...........[Sad] Shoot............ there goes her rod bendo again............yup Cat #4. And then there goes MY drag....real fast click, grab the rod, tighten the drag, start reeling, feel the head shake and see the line go sideways. Then STUCK ![mad]. Obvious snag. Put the rod back in the holder, loosen the drag again cuz wife's reeling in a Cat that is putting a serious bend on her Ugly Stick. Boated that one, and another before I could even get back to my rod I figured was going to be another snap off. (have you kept count? That's 6 Cats for the wife, none for me [mad]) Working on baiting her hooks with that stinky carp meat, notice my snagged line (so I thought) moving parallel to the boat about 20 feet out. Got the rod back out of the holder, and YES....that sneaky Cat was hooked all along, but must have set down along a rock that my weight snagged up in, then when he thought I was otherwise occupied tried to swim away. But I had brand new Gamakatsu large bait hooks on my lines, and that hook went all the way thru the lower lip, and out around the mouth cartilage. No way was that Cat slipping that one. Yup, I finally boated one of my own [sly] 25 inch with a bad attitude Cat. Not the 30+ inch Cat I was hoping to poach out of BLK's home waters, but it fills my 3rd contest slot and I'm satisfied.
Saw gray clouds moving in from the west about 2:00 P.M. decided we better motor towards the dock at LB. Just for giggles, trolled a couple cranks, and picked up and released a couple more Whities.
21 June 2017 a very good day on the water to celebrate First Day of Summer, and day I and 2 close friends from H.S. reported to Lackland AFB TX. for Air Force Basic Training 21 June 1973. [Wink] [fishon]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Very nice report! UL is a great place this time of year! I've been mostly largemouth fishing with little luck but have taken a break for the cats. They are hitting really good right now!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you folks were able to make it down and that the fish came to play...at least with your wife. You better pay attention to what she is doing 'cause whatever it is works.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Great report, great pics, happy to see the wife catch lots of fish. Maybe next time she'll bait hooks and take pictures, but don't count on it.
[signature]
That's funny. [laugh] What she was doing was letting me do all the work, and she was reeling them in almost faster than I could cut the line from one swallowed hook, retie a new hook, and give it back to her just in time to do it again to her second line. [crazy]
She did bait her own hook, I'll give her that much. But I enjoyed the day no matter.

Heading back down to LB with my son this Wednesday. He will have to do all his own hook fixin.............[Wink] [fishon]
[signature]

Cool
How much higher does the water need to rise before Bird Island is a submerged island?
[signature]
I only got photos on the south side of island. I would guess the water needs to come up at least 3 feet before it is submerged, barely. Around the north side where there is like a horseshoe shaped inlet, we were anchored in about 5 fow, and guys in another boat were all the way inside the horseshoe in a bigger boat than mine. But I could see the top 6-10 inches of several boulders up out of the water on the north-west edge. and could see birds standing on rocks about 1 inch under the water out off the north-east edge. I made a GPS trail around the south, west, and north sides of the island that I saved as my "line in the water" to use caution and go slow inside that line. Any maneuvering in close proximity to that area needs to be done with care.
[signature]

Cool