Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down rigger Question
Can anyone tell me if it will help to change the steel cable on the D.R. ball to 40 lb braid? I'm hopping to get the ball to drop down straighter. I don't want to get a heavier ball.
Thanks
[signature]
Braided line definitely creates less lag but I would probabaly go with at least 100 lb braided.. what lb weight do you use?
[signature]
I think they make a braid line for down riggers, I would check into that. I don't think the 40 lb. would last very long holding a 10 lb. ball.
[signature]
The amount of weight needed on a downrigger is a function of the speed you are trolling and the depth you are fishing the deeper and faster you go the more weight you need to keep the downrigger wire at a near vertical angle.
using a 4 lb ball and trolling 1. MPH the counter reading is 40' the actual depth of your ball is 39 '

Using a 10 lb ball trolling speed of 1.5 MPH counter reading 40 actual depth of ball 40'

so if you want to get the ball to drop down straighter go slow and not very deep.\

most new downrigger fishermen are reluctant to put enough weight on their downrigger
[signature]
I know you are right about the ball weight. I'm using a Canon Minnie troll. It comes with a 4 lb . tried a 8 lb but was heavy for it. Maybe a 6 would help? Should try one.
Thanks.
[signature]
Related are the versions used by the float tube, kayak and pontoon fishing at depth. I'm thinking when I give it a try, I'll use the reel seat section of a rod with one of my big ocean fishing reels as a makeshift down rigger for use with fishing one of my light rods. I'm sure it will work just fine because that did well as my anchor winch with my pontoon fly fishing boat and a large rock to hold position against a wind while fishing.

What do our tube, kayak and pontoon fishermen and ladies use for controlled depth fishing?
[signature]
I have not used a Canon Minnie troll.
first I would stay with the wire it came with
I looked at the Manual and it said use a 4 lb ball
so maybe some one that has a Cannon Mini-Troll Manual Downrigger
can tell you if a 6 lb will work.
https://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx3MBTGXR...B000MMVW1C
I know you can catch a lot more fish with a downrigger
using the 4 lb ball you may just have to live with the long blow back
at Strawberry you don't go much deeper than 35 feet and you can catch fish going 1.5 to 1.7 MPH

I could put a 4 lb ball on and tell you how deep the ball is at say down 30' and going 1.7 mph
if you have a fishfinder you can see the ball on the fishfinder and tell how deep it is
if you like to troll save your money (it may take a few years) to buy the good stuff.
Down riggers give you a tremendous advantage in fishing.

I just found this
some fisherman are using braided line like spectra or fireline. because they minimize the cable drag in the water.
diSadvantages they do not attract fish.
[signature]
Liketrolling has given you some very good advice! I would stay with the wire and live with the blowback. In most cases you want to be a little above the fish anyway, so the blowback will get you into that zone.

I have watched many hours of GoPro video located just above a downrigger ball and have seen where fish will either rise or dive at least 5 ft to check out a dodger & squid. You don't have to be exact, you only need to be close in the zone. That being said, I try to be a little above the schools of fish.

One other thing, here in the west the larger reservoir bottoms are not flat. For the most part they are submerged canyons & ridges. I have snagged the bottom many many times with the DR ball because of submerged islands and ridges that come up to fast. With 40 lb braid, expect to loose a lot of DR balls.
[signature]
You can also look into different shaped weights that have less drag going through the water.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I have the attwood mini downrigger and it's the same class as your cannon. I also use a 4lb ball with 100lb braid and there little or no blow back when I'm trolling for kokes/trout at 1.5-1.7 and 20-40ft down. On the other side of my boat I use an older Cannon uni troll with steel line and 6lb weight at the same speed and depth I'm getting a lot more blowback. IMO go with 100 lb braided line w/ 4lb weight, gives you less blowback, also no humm from the SS line and safer since it's easier to cut in case your ball gets hung up. As far as which catches more fish. There are times braided line gets more fish and there are days SS line gets more. So don't really see a difference between one or the other. Love that there is no humm with the braid though, it gets annoying to me after awhile.
[signature]
They make a downrigger weight that is called a pancake, its slimmer but weighs the same as a standard 10lb ball. They have a lot less drag and the blowback is less..
[signature]
Thanks everyone! I'd like to try a pancake style. Or a 6 lb. Ball. Has anyone got one for sale or trial.?
[signature]
I wish someone made a 6lb. pancake DR weight.
[signature]
do me a favor. if you have a volt meter can you check the voltage between your neg battery and the older Cannon uni troll with steel line. put the pos. on the steel line. see if you get a reading.
what may be fun is if you and Jiggy81 could get together and I could take both of you out fishing for kokanee.
I don't like fishing on week ends.
[signature]
I fish out of an inflatable boat so I don't think my boat will have polarity and that's probably why SS or braided line don't make a difference for rig.. lol.. I've read the stories about people switching to braid and not catching as much fish and also read the other way around. What I've also read that with fresh water electricity doesn't travel much compared to salt but the little it does travel could be the difference if the fish bites or not.
[signature]
I'll be going to solder creek Wednesday and on the water by 6 Thursday morning. Staying at Aspin grove. Even if it rains.
[signature]
I have molds for downriggers

Pancake style
4#
6#
8#
10#

Fish Shaped
8#
10#

If any of you want some stop by Riverton and we will mold you one up
[signature]
Excellent!!
Any pictures and a price list?
[signature]
Cost for anyone taking a veteran out on the 15th would be my cost
$1.00 per pound for lead $2.00 for the plate
if you want them rubber coated I can do it for $2.00
or you can stop at Lowes and buy a can that will do three weights for $6.00

If you aren't taking a vet out $20.00 for the four and six pound $25.00 for the either the eight or ten pound.
[signature]
Has anyone used that Zwing downrigger?
[signature]