Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon Smallmouth
Decided to try the Smallmouth fishing from my float tube yesterday. I put in at the second parking turnout on the East side after approaching from Henefer. Lots of gravel has been put down to keep it from being a muddy mesh when it gets wet.

The water is right up into the brush so wasn't much of a walk down to the waters edge and getting going.

I used a slip bobber with a small jig outfit first, with not luck. Went to my second rod with a small jig and plastic.

Got a bite right away. Nice fat Smallmouth that gave a nice fight on a light outfit. Got another right away. In all probably caught 6 or 7 that averaged 12 inches, with the largest about 13 inches. But they were very healthy with shoulders and like I said really provide some sport.

I got a bonus fish that I thought was going to be a huge silvery crappie, but turned out to be my first Wiper from EC. Similar to the Smallmouth, the Wiper was only about a foot long, but really put up the good fight.

Good fun!
[signature]
I'm glad you found them. They sure weren't anywhere in the rocks along the west side, which is where I tried.
[signature]
Yes, these were in or near brush, trees, just outside of the wakeless area in the arm from Henefer. Casting toward and parallel to shore and reeling back.

Actually this was the first time I have caught Smallmouth in any numbers at EC.
[signature]
I tried fishing the middle of that "swim area" where last year there were weeds on the bottom and it was alive with big, feisty smallies. But now it's 50 feet deep, no weeds and no smallies.
[signature]
Yes, the varying water depth really changes conditions.
[signature]