Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help fly fishing SE Idaho
Kind of a lazy post here but I am looking for tips on what areas to take my girlfriend fly fishing. We moved to Blackfoot and this area is all new for both of us compared to Boise and Moscow.

She has never fly fishing so she wants me to teach her and I am looking for some reccomendations on rivers down in this area to take her. Need to be fishable from shore/wading.

Not chasing the trophy fish I am just trying to get her started so 6" stocked fish will be fine. I was curious on the Blackfoot river and the bear river down by Soda. Any others worth fishing?
[signature]
My go to for introductory fly fishing, especially when wading, is warm river east of Ashton. I'll go right to the campground, park just outside it next to the bridge then walk up to the upper end of the camping area and get in and wade from near the foot bridge down through the camping area. They stock it pretty heavily and it's usually good near evening, and I'm sure early morning. It's also a pretty area. Also along the Henry's Fork between Ashton and St. Anthony and upstream of the Hwy 20 bridge outside Ashton for as far as the river and road parallel. However wading in there is hit in miss since some parts are a little deeper. Good luck.
[signature]
I've taught my kids to flyfish on birch creek above lone pine.use a small renegade and they just hammer it.
[signature]
Crystal Springs Pond or Springfield Reservoir. Would be a good place to start . Even McTucker ponds . They are about 30 miles from Blackfoot.
[signature]
Rose pond is only about 3 miles out of town . Fish the big pond on the north east end . Good place to teach her how too cast .
[signature]
[quote Belasko]My go to for introductory fly fishing, especially when wading, is warm river east of Ashton. I'll go right to the campground, park just outside it next to the bridge then walk up to the upper end of the camping area and get in and wade from near the foot bridge down through the camping area. They stock it pretty heavily and it's usually good near evening, and I'm sure early morning. It's also a pretty area. Also along the Henry's Fork between Ashton and St. Anthony and upstream of the Hwy 20 bridge outside Ashton for as far as the river and road parallel. However wading in there is hit in miss since some parts are a little deeper. Good luck.[/quote]

Awesome thanks! I will go check those out. I havent been to the Henrys Fork in years, I floated it right around Island Park is it calmer down near Aston/St Anthony? I remeber it being really deep up there.
[signature]
Thanks! I see Birch Creek runs up almost to the border, is it fishable the whole way?
[signature]
[quote curt69]Crystal Springs Pond or Springfield Reservoir. Would be a good place to start . Even McTucker ponds . They are about 30 miles from Blackfoot.[/quote]

Thanks! I will look at those.
[signature]
[quote curt69]Rose pond is only about 3 miles out of town . Fish the big pond on the north east end . Good place to teach her how too cast .[/quote]

Didnt realize there was one so close. Ill have to see if I can figure out how to get to it. Are there carp in it? Might not be a good first fish on the fly but it would get her hooked for sure.
[signature]
Go north on the old hiway going out of town towards Shelley . On the edge of town just north of the cemetery turn left at the first intersection and right at the next intersection. That will take you right to Rose Pond . Turn right just before the overpass that goes over the freeway .
[signature]
Curious if anyone can give me pointers on where to fish the upper Blackfoot. Made it out there this weeked for a few hours. Fished a little bit right before the resevoir and hooked a little trout and almost stepped on a Carp the size of my head.

The girlfriend had a nice rise but she missed the hook set. It was her first day so the excitment got to her and she forgot what to do.

We just could not figure out where to access the river. We drove past the ranch with all the walk in access. Then we fished a bit up in the national forest but no luck there. We had the best luck down in the slower areas of the river.
[signature]