Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Fishing kayak for beginer
I'm hoping to buy fishing kayak for my personal use. my budgets is under $1000. I have checked several product reviews through the Internet and select 2 from big ranges one is Sun Dolphin Excursion 10-Foot Sit-in Fishing Kayak and other one is .Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Vapor 10 Angler Fishing Kayak. I have still struggling with which one was best. Could you guys give me guide for choosing one. if you have any other kayak suggestions please put down here.[fishon]

Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Vapor 10 Angler Fishing Kayak

Sun Dolphin Excursion 10-Foot Sit-in Fishing Kayak

Edit: links are not allowed for new members, see FAQ above for the rules for this site.
[signature]
Both are very good Kayaks with slight differences. The Dolphin requires added rod mounts but is suitable for anglers that are slightly larger.

The Old Town Vapor has built in rod holders but has a weight limit of 250 lbs.

I can see either of these working well in a lake but I think they are over rating themselves by rating them for river usage as they are sit in Yaks which can take on water in a hurry.

I use a sit on Yak made by Malibu. It will not take on water but is slightly heavier as it is a 3 seater yak.[fishon]
[signature]
Thanks TubeN2, for the clarifications. is your mentioned kayak is under general kayak.I means is not specially manufactured for the fishing activities ?
[signature]
My kayak was made for general kayaking.

Most people that buy the sit on kayak and decide to fish out of the, can make modifications.

Mine was set up with a fish hold area and I use the milk crate system for the rod holders. That seems to work best for me as I mostly fish in the ocean.[fishon]
[signature]
Although sit-ins have their fans and uses, I would strongly recommend a sit-on kayak designed for fishing. Sit-ons have a higher perch for much better visibility down into the water, more comfortable seats, the ability to stand if desired, easier to access storage, are self-baling, and don't have you sitting in water all day.

A 10-footer is fine for small ponds and lightweight anglers. For anything larger than a puddle (due to the chance of bigger waves) a 12 or 14-footer is much better. Kayaks are like tackle boxes: what seems to be adequate turns out to be too small.
[signature]