Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek and Jordanelle
Just got back from these places. I started first at deer Creek. Fished north of the island. 12-15 ft of water, plenty of ice. Got there about 10:30. There were lots of people there but the bite at that time was quite slow, although some had had some action earlier in the morning. I caught one and lost 2 others right away (suspended6 ft. under the ice) on wax worm tipped rat finkie below a flasher. It then slowed for me too, and I got wanderlust and left at 12:15. I didn't see a fish caught by others while I was fishing. (Some Caught a few earlier.) I then went over to Jordanelle at the Rock Cliffs. I went on the South side, 2/3rds of the way to the bouys. Caught 30-something perch and a few trout from 1:30-5:00. The bite was not spectacular, but steady. It picked up considerably after 3:30. Lots of small perch as always, but enough good ones for a nice meal. All trout were released. A pair of anglers in the same vicinity did similarly well. Small parts of nightcrawler seemed to work the best here.
[signature]
Nice report Doggone, did anyone that you talked to at Deer creek catch any perch? WH2
[signature]
No perch or walleye to be seen. The water level around the island this season might be a little too shallow for the perchies liking in the winter (IMO).
[signature]
HI WH2 I was there this morning, fishing was OK but not great. Heres how i did 1 trout (on the small side 14") 8 perch (around 6") and one baby eye (under 3") I was home by ten as the snow drove me off the lake. Deer Creek is getting a lot of pressure right now (haven't figured out way) and it's all day and most of the night. I haven't seen this many anglers on the lake for several years. There is still some open water where the river flows in, the ice is safe to within 15 feet or so. I didn't venture any closer than that myself. My neighbor has been racking up the perch. I don't think he even trys for anything else. Now I have heard that over on the west point by Rainbow Bay they are doing pretty good for trout (around 15' down) and eyes are being caught off the bottom. But I haven't been lucky enough to experence that for myself. Heck I haven't been but twice this year. But am now getting back into the swing of things.
[signature]
Road, where did you fish? The island area or elsewhere?, thanks.
[signature]
We haven't heard from you in a while Road, has work keep you busy? Thanks for the report and keep them coming. I haven't heard any good reports on people catching perch this winter that are of any size. Has your neighbor caught any bigger than 10 inches this year? WH2
[signature]
Island? Deer Creek has an island LOL. Maybe this year it will again. And yes i was in that general area. Just north of the island by the river got there around 6 this morning and was back home by 10. Never thought I would be chased off the water by a little snow, but I started getting wet and headed for cover.
[signature]
Heck by the time I see his catch they are all fileted. He doessave me some of the skins for my trips. I would say he hasn't caught anything big as yet though. If he was, he would be rubbing my nose in it LOL. Work and a few other things has kept me off the water for the past couple of months. Now it looks like things will be getting back to normal (whatever that is) and I can spend some time living again.

"Fish to live, live to fish, if you have to ask, you just wouldn't understand."
[signature]
I think one of the reasons there are more people fishing Deer creek this year is because there is more ice this year than there has been in a few years. Plus Deer creek is so close to Provo, I'm sure a lot of people come from that area to fish it. Again Road it is good to have you back on the site. WH2
[signature]