Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UL 7/6/17
So me and some buddies went out to Lindon Boat Harbor trying for some channel cats. We started by the watchtower fishing into the lake with a bobber and about a 15 inch leader with shrimp on the end since in the videos tin can posted recently that looked like what he was using. With us having no luck there we moved by the docks then over by the beach in the weeds. We came up unsuccessful in catching any channels but we caught a white bass. We talked to some other fisherman and one was also using shrimp with no success and the other didnt catch anything but he told us of a 12lb. channel he caught the day before on a jig.
[signature]
If anything, don't feel bad. I fished Lindon from the bank for about 4 hours the morning of the 4th and got skunked. I tried cut bait, both white bass and carp, chicken liver, and even a chunk of hot dog for a bit. Tried different distances from shore and different depths. Nada.

A few weeks before I fished the same stuff and same places and killed it. Still figuring this thing out I guess.
[signature]
Here's my guess:

As the spawn winds down, they generally migrate to deeper water. My observation on the 4th (at Lincoln) was that most of them were post spawn.

Also, we anchored on a transition in 5 1/2' of water. We cast as shallow as 3' and as deep as 7. All but one of the cats came on the deep side of the boat.

Perhaps nighttime or a good windy day might still bring them in close.
[signature]
wasn't my video. and we were using white bass on 2 of the trips, then Gulp Catfish Bait (fake livers) and night crawlers.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
For what it's worth, I tell you my recent experience. I went out in the boat yesterday morning at daybreak and fished at Lindon between the marina and the buoys, fairly close to the shore where there are lots of weeds, in about 3 1/2 feet of water. Not even a bite between 6 and 7:30, then it really turned on and I landed 10 cats in the next 2 hours, all between 3 lb and 5 lbs 4 oz., all on cut chub meat. I didn't try any other bait. I also had pretty much the same experience in the same spot a week earlier.
[signature]
Sorry Tin-Can it was pezvela's video.
[signature]
Sorry to hear you didn't find them. I was fortunate (report posted) that we were able to find them, but having a boat allowed us to travel away from the marina. We caught all of the catfish close to the shore (made a few casts away from the bank and didn't get a bite), so at least some of them are still spawning.
[signature]