Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard
I am a rookie to Willard. First time in 10 years and second time in my life. Used two planner boards, one flat line, and two downriggers all pulling flicker shad and shad raps going between 2.8 and 3.2 mph. I let the baits dive to 8-12 feet for the planer/flat line and 20 feet for the downriggers. Only got two walleye and one other walleye got off at the boat. Fished from 4pm-8:30pm. I fished near the island. I saw fish jumping randomly but just one here one there, so I shorten up my flat line/planner lines to get my lures to only dive 4-6 feet. Did that for a hour...Nothing! I used that gizzard shad scent by pro-cure. I really was going for wipers...got none. Is it the wrong time of year to troll for wipers? Or did I need to be at the surface? What lures are surface lures for wipers if trolling? I am new to this lake and sepicies, but not new to fishing. Any recommendations would be great! Good luck everyone![fishon]
[signature]
The jumpers were likely carp. Willard wipers roam a lot, chasing shad. They can be anywhere from the surface to the bottom, but there are simply a lot of acres where they aren't. At least right now. Yesterday and maybe tomorrow they'll be right where you were today.

You were doing all the right things, if that makes you feel better.
[signature]
I fished Friday morning with my Grand kids. Just north of the island. We caught several Wipper s. All caught casting at boils. Best lures were kastmasters, and crome dardevils. Saw lots of surface action.
[signature]
What oz of Kastmaster? Were those the only colors you used?[fishin]
[signature]
Yes that's what we caught fish with this trip. Have used a gold kastmasters before. Two inches and 3 inch before.
I tried something different for a while, used a small set of pop gear about 3 feet long with small blades. Followed by a chrome spinner. Didn't get any takers. I'll try it again another day..
Caught three cats on the kastmaster too.
[signature]