Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State or Federal Annual Park Pass?
State or Federal Annual Park Pass?

Advice request: Which one is best for me and which parks should top my list to visit?

Recommendations invited.

Now that I have a vehicle with excellent winter driving and off road capabilities and have freed myself up time from chores and maintenance of an older vehicle, today will be the first day of a lot of fun and adventure. I have lots of vacation time saved up to use productively at great destinations.

I enjoyed meeting our most active at our annual Willard Bay BFT Flotilla event. I paid $10 at the gate, but was very tempted to buy an annual pass for $75 instead. It would pay for itself in seven and a half uses. But, with just my older two wheel drive vehicle at that time, I couldn't trust it's reliability to be able to use the pass much and I certainly couldn't use it for most ice fishing destinations except on rare days of dry pavement, so that prompted me to add that to reasons to buy a vehicle that would allow me to enjoy ice fishing and surf fishing.

Great fishing destinations are of course a priority, but I want more!

In choosing a destination for today (suggestions for other days and seasons are invited, too), I notice the forecast is for 103° F (102 Sunday) and unhealthy air quality with ozone being high recently. That matters more, if I take my bicycle with me. I started to greatly increase my superpowers by bicycling, but was too busy for that for about two months. Now that I have much more time to ride, I should choose high altitude above the air pollution and with roads both good (smooth and safer traffic conditions) and popular (I do like to ride with groups or top racing teams) for bicycling.

I also enjoy hiking. I ran up Mt. Elbert. But, I'm not so much seeking an athletic event yet and more likely wanting to combine driving, bicycling or hiking with fishing and maybe car camping, so hiking would be to enjoy some fishing locations where hiking presents some great fishing locations.

I'm remembering all of the excellent photography and locations from older posts from TieDyeTwins (another reason we shouldn't delete our older archives as that would be a great loss and it's on my list to visit those locations). I'm using that now also to inspire some good choices for destinations and was just looking at some of his 3027 posts and lots of pictures with many worthy of being magazine covers.

A lessor version of my vehicle had consistent wins of the terrain challanging 4100 mile TransSyberia Rally,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transsyberia_rally

... so a destination that has some good off road driving opportunities would also be important for some fun with that.

Which park should I visit today? Future days? Different seasons?

Should I buy a State or Federal Annual Park Pass?

Advice and fishing friends will be greatly appreciated!
[signature]
Don't think about it as much, buy a State pass, and just go to as many State parks as you can.
Enjoy that new vehicle of yours!
[signature]
Ditto -what SBennett said.
Get the state park pass. More State parks to fish in Utah than Federal or National Parks. The Federal parks tend to be just a bit less expensive for a day pass that the Utah State Parks so if you don't fish then very often, then paying on a as needed basis makes more sense and cents. [fishon]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
You could just get both haha. If that's not an option then I would think about where you typically go the most. If you don't like where you've been going then disregard that. But if you like where you've been going then think about who the manager of the places you like to go is. If it's the DNR then that's state. If it's Forest Service, BLM, or National Parks land then that's Federal. For the main part State Parks are larger and are more suitable for Boats with motors. But they're usually more more crowded. Federal places usually have better hikes but the lakes are usually smaller so boats with motors aren't allowed. There's also more solitude or semi solitude opportunities at federal ones.
[signature]
Cayenne has off-road capabilities? Show me. I agree it would be great for slick highway conditions but clearance? I just question the true "off-road" capabilities. I'm not downing a beautiful ride but I would be really impressed if it was really that capable on rough terrain. Does it have 4 low? Super pavement performance I'm sure but let's try it out on the Boulder.😋
[signature]
I have both but as a senior, it only cost me $45.00 for both.
If I was to only have one, it would be the State pass for sure.
[signature]
State Parks pass plus Mirror Lake Hwy pass that gives you access to the Mirror Lake corridor plus American Fork Canyon.
[signature]
[quote brookieguy1] Cayenne has off-road capabilities? Show me. I agree it would be great for slick highway conditions but clearance? I just question the true "off-road" capabilities. I'm not downing a beautiful ride but I would be really impressed if it was really that capable on rough terrain. Does it have 4 low? Super pavement performance I'm sure but let's try it out on the Boulder.😋[/quote]

Porsche Cayenne Off-Road: Insane Inclines And Extreme Inclines
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AHGsA2CO0R4

Porsche Cayenne Off Road - YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MAKPVHYJLsQ
[signature]
We have state and federal passes, use the federal more in the summer, use the state pass spring and fall when places are less crowded by idiots who can't clean up after their sorry selves.
[signature]
The State Park pass is a great purchase if you will be fishing Utah Lake, East Canyon, Willard, Hyrum etc. I got mine as a Christmas gift and it paid for itself in fishing trips within a few months. It's also nice to be able to go around the lines at the gates.
As for a Federal (National Parks pass), I can a do get a annual Military pass. It does not get used a ton, but it's great to have when I go to Powell or Yellowstone.
I will certainly buy a State Pass again next year, paying $10 each visit stinks.
[signature]
Thanks, SBennett, Tin-Can, FishingLunatic, brookieguy1, DKStroutfitter, Jedidiah, fish_hunter, Squawminnow!

I'll get the Utah State Parks pass. That should keep me busy for a while until I get a National Parks pass.

I want to enjoy some of these beautiful places before they're destroyed and continue to develop my fishing skills to be able to eat fish after that and teach my future children and grandchildren.
[signature]