Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minn kota repair?
Hi, I hope I can ask j this on this sight but im sure someone on here can help me. My minn kota autopilot trolling motor stopped steering the other day. The thrust works fine, just the steering. Has anyone else had this problem and would it be in the for peddle or head? Thank you very much.
[signature]
The foot peddle would be a good place to start looking. Check all the connections, if you have a ohm meter ohm the wires from the foot peddle to the motor that turns the unit.
[signature]
I'd bet it's the foot pedal, mine did the same thing a few years back, so I borrowed one from a friend, just to see if that was the problem and it worked fine. Instead of replacing it, I thought I might as well take it apart to see if I could see a problem. Found a lot of corrosion on the contacts that control the steering, so I just used a wire brush to clean it up and it has worked fine ever since. I tried to put a co-pilot on it this year, to make it easier to steer but found out Minn Kota quit making them early this year[Sad].
[signature]
thankss a million guys, I really appreciate it!
[signature]
Hey Curt I would bet that if you called cabelas they would still have the co-pilot in one of their stores. Worth a try if you still want it.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Curt,

They are still available on both Amazon and eBay. But they probably won't be for very long.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Just about every where I've checked on line are out of them or they have been discontinued, the ones I have found are either not for my motor or I'm just not sure they are the correct one, so I'm going to call minn kota tomorrow, with my serial # and make sure before I place the order. I think the one I need is a 1866100 model # but they say it goes on the motor with a square plug, mine is flat(but maybe that's the same as square to them), the other model has a round plug and that is the wrong one for sure. Thanks for the input guys.
[signature]
I put a copilot on mine last year and I love it makes it much easier to fish and drive ,but then I had my foot pedal on my steeri g wheel.
[signature]