Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chamberlain releases
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I bought them about 4 years ago and used them for an entire season before I switched back to Off Shore releases. Here's why I switched back.

With the CRs, you twist your line about 6 to 8 times for mono line and about 8 to 10 times for braid. Braid is very slick and requires more twisting to insure a non-slip hold. When you twist the line and apply pressure to the line by cranking down on the reel to bend the pole, that creates pressure on the line where it is twisted and will cause a flattening at those pressure points. You can run the line between thumb and finger and actually feel the pressure points.

If you are a creature of habit and always let your line out 'X' number of feet behind the release, then you are always applying pressure to the same area of the line. This will lead to a broken line in 10 to 15 applications. Braid is less susceptible to this, but will eventually suffer the same fate; it will just take a lot longer to happen.

My research on several other fishing websites before buying the CRs said this would happen, but I had to see for myself. I do NOT recommend Chamberlains if you are a 100% mono fishing line user. It WILL cost you in lost tackle - $10 plus ever time you loose a dodger/squid combo. I prefer mono for most of my fishing, so I use Off Shore releases. I do use braid for my bass fishing, but mono for everything else.

The CRs do give you the best control of the release, but that comes at a price if you use mono line. Just thought you should know. I have about 4 of the CRs if anybody would like to purchase them.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."