Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kokanee growth rate
DWR has planted Kokes the past 3 years in Smith & Morehouse Res. All plants being around 3 inches long. What do you think the size of the Kokes would be that were planted in 2015.
[signature]
it depends on the food supply . kokanee only live 3 to 5 years in strawberry and flaming gorge but can get up to 3 to 4 lbs, put he same fish in porcupine and cutler after the same time you only get a 1 to 2lbs fish.
we just have to wait and see what a particular lake will produce . i have heard that the ones they put in fishlake they are one the larger side who knows what will happen
[signature]
I thought about that. Since they survive on zooplankton I would assume that different lakes produce more than others. Especially Strawberry where all fish grow quite fast. I was just thinking of a ball park figure for the fish in S & M.
I think most fish that are planted at such small size are subject to a high percentage of predation.

Has anyone caught any Kokes from S & M. I know they are catching Graying that were planted the last 3 years and they were fingerlings at plant time.
[signature]
I caught this feller at FL on Father's Day. The picture doesn't do him justice because I am a wide guy.
It was just shy of 18" and 2 lbs.
Exceptional growth for only being planted at 3" just barely two years earlier.
I am going back for the July 24th weekend to look for the rest of his buddies.
Problem at FL is that to catch kokes your lure does not get left alone by the bows and splake long enough to catch many kokes.
[signature]
[quote SBennett]I caught this feller at FL on Father's Day. The picture doesn't do him justice because I am a wide guy.
It was just shy of 18" and 2 lbs.
Exceptional growth for only being planted at 3" just barely two years earlier.
I am going back for the July 24th weekend to look for the rest of his buddies.
Problem at FL is that to catch kokes your lure does not get left alone by the bows and splake long enough to catch many kokes.[/quote]

The koke we caught at Electric this weekend was almost 15 inches and planted 2 years ago. And glad to see I'm not the only "gimp" on here who doesn't let it hold them back, hope to fish with you sometime.
[signature]
I do ok but life would sure be a lot easier if I had that hand back!
I am a host boat at this weeks DAV, you going to be there?
What should I look for to recognize you if our paths cross?
[signature]
Don't expect them to get very big in a smaller lake like S & M, in similar sized lakes like Porcupine and Causey, it's rare to catch them over 12 to 13". Of course you do see them a little bigger, in the Fall when they spawn but not often during the Summer. I'm glad you brought this up because that gives me another reason to go to S&M. I did not realize they were stocking kokes there.
[signature]
[quote SBennett]I do ok but life would sure be a lot easier if I had that hand back!
I am a host boat at this weeks DAV, you going to be there?
What should I look for to recognize you if our paths cross?[/quote]

As a disabled veteran I would like to make it down for the DAV event sometime, but still getting over a very negative experience we had at strawberry, also have a toddler and busy family schedule. I do however assist our veterans on a daily basis at work, and most of the guys I hunt and fish with are also veterans. This is our boat http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo..._id=126088
[signature]
I will definitely remember an inboard powered Lund, not many of those around.
Nice boat!
[signature]
from the looks of that we are going to have another great kokanee option in ut.
i've really got my fingers crossed for starvation
[signature]
i'm heading to the dav friday morning to try and prefish for saturday . hit me up on the radio channel 16 or some times 10 just call fro mountaincat [Smile]
[signature]
I am really hoping Jordanelle's koke population takes off. If it does it would help alleviate the pressure Strawberry recieves.
[signature]
Anyone been taking advantage of the new CORN allowance? (but not at Porky ??? [mad] )

I always read about shoe-peg corn, but we've used gulp maggots with some stinky goop. Just don't know if corn is really "better", I've heard it's really just a vessel to carry scent.
Used it a lot in Washington State for Kokes. It is not better, it is different.

We believed that it was the sugars in the corn that worked, and shoepeg was prefered because it was whole kernel and stayed on the hook better while trolling.

Some days Gulp Maggots worked better, some days corn, some days a couple of salmon eggs worked best. Some days with scent, some days without.

Kind of sounds like fishing, doesn't it? [fishin]
i've tried shoe peg with tuna oil and bloody tuna and saw no difference over scented gulp maggots joradelle would be a nice koke lake but i am worried about the boat traffic .
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]Anyone been taking advantage of the new CORN allowance? (but not at Porky ??? [mad] )

I always read about shoe-peg corn, but we've used gulp maggots with some stinky goop. Just don't know if corn is really "better", I've heard it's really just a vessel to carry scent.[/quote]

We tried shoepeg at the gorge earlier this spring and gulp maggots are without a doubt better, less messy and easier to store as well.
[signature]
Although I can't find the original plan for Jordanelle, I've heard from multiple people that the entire Rockcliff arm was supposed to be wakeless.
If that is true, we fisherman need to ban together to make this happen!
[signature]
No problem (who needs sleep) just another reason to be up at 0330, be on the Res. at 0530 or 0600, and hopefully get off the water before the traffic starts.....I'd sure like to see the Kokes get ahold at Jordanelle also.....Flaming Gorge will always be #1 in my book, but you need at least 2 or 3 days to do the trip justice, for most of us....Strawberry has been a jewel for me on Kokes these past 2 years, but even I can see that it's getting alot of pressure, even mid-week......so Jordanelle would be super -- more pressure off the Gorge and Strawberry, more people enjoying the salmon, and even closer to home for many of us.....Here's Hoping!
[signature]