Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berry Action Yesterday (Wed.)
Not a super report, but a report nonetheless....3 other boaters we talked to, when coming off just beating the wind and rain, had done only fair, or none at all....So I did feel fortunate getting 3 very nice Kokes, 17", 181/2", and my biggest here to date, 2 3/4lb, 191/2"er.....all kokes caught in 80 to 85 FOW, 35' and 44' down...Some nice cutts caught by my buddy, and plenty of tiny ones also.....No pattern on kokes - 1st one on white hoochie/standard 4.5" silver plaid dodger...2nd one on pink hoochie/standard 4.5" silver w/red bones dodger,....and my 3rd on green/orange Assasin/and larger 5.5" silver plaid dodger.....Stars just not lining up for us today (last week was great), and the solunar calendar for yesterday said it should have been better mid to later afternoon, but we fished early....and still great to be out.....Guluk...
[signature]
Interesting the difference day to day. On Saturday I had 4 guests in the boat. I didn't fish, just ran the riggers and drove the boat. We boated the guest's 16, all nice kokes. I went again, yesterday with Robert (Likestrolling) and it was slower, similar to you guys. We boated 6 nice kokes between the 2 of us. That was fishing 4 rods and about the same time frame in both cases.
[signature]
Since retiring about 4 years ago, I have stayed away from Strawberry and almost all other lakes and res. on weekends, assuming it's alot busier than during the week (and many are getting too busy During the week!)....but you were there Saturday....and it sounds like it was way worth the hassle, or is there no hassle at Strawberry on Saturdays? Referring to boat activity in areas you want to be fishing in, dock launching and retrieval, pleasure craft zooming by, etc. Watcha think?
[signature]
Saturdays are definitely busier and I enjoy my Wednesday opportunities (my schedule has Wednesdays off). Refer back to one of my previous posts - Bumper Boats on the Berry. I actually had decided no more Saturdays.
Many of my friends and family are only available on Saturdays so I brave the crowds and fish anyway. It is all in attitude - kind of like road rage. You can't get frustrated.
Most of the guys are pretty good on the ramp. They take turns and are fairly efficient. There is always the exception and you just have to roll with it. I was one of those guys last Saturday. I pulled up on the trailer and the trim wouldn't come up. I tried for a few minutes to fix but it was not to be. So I backed the boat off, tied up and pulled the trailer out.
On Saturdays there are often a lot of boats where I usually fish - if so I try to move somewhere else. Seems there are fish all over - at least there were this last Saturday, we found 16 kokes.
Thank goodness we don't see too much of the recreational boats cruising by, not to say there are not any, but in comparison relatively few on the berry. Last week there was one boat loaded with little girls in bikinis that had stopped to swim. We trolled back and forth right by them several times - ah... because we kept getting fish right there.
Yes I do prefer the weekdays on Strawberry, but with a little prior meditation to get in the right mind, I find Saturdays can be productive too.
[signature]
Gocha -- Maybe I'll brave a Sat. trip again one day and see you out there, but more likely it'll be on a Wednesday!....16' FBF white, orange trim.......A good pair of binoc's is always good to have on board to help you steer clear of water hazards at sea -- girls in 'kinis will make you forget why you're out there! ....Guluk...
[signature]