Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry River suggestions
Anyone have any fly suggestions for the strawberry river in the starvation area? I'm hitting the area this weekend and don't really know what to be prepared with for flies.
[signature]
Bump! Anybody?
[signature]
Slightly pinkish tan scuds 3/16" long were in the stomachs of brown trout Saturday.
[signature]
It depends on whether your fishing the Strawberry River above or below Starvation.

The flows below Starvation are running 332 cfs so it's tough to wade right now with that kind of flow. I use nymphs (hares ear, prince nymph, & pheasant tails) in size 10-16 and streamers (olive crystal buggers, black and brown wolly buggers) in sizes 6-10 on this portion of the river. I sometimes throw a sink-tip when I use the streamers, especially with the higher flows.

I've had the best luck on the river upstream of the reservoir using wet flies and nymphs. Size 8-10 Montana nymph, Rio Grande King, Mosier, and prince nymph.
San Juan worms are also effective on both stretches of the stream in maroon & red. The flows through this section are low and you can wet wade the area easily if you want.

Good luck when you go.

There is always a chance for a great fish from either section of the river.[Smile]
[signature]
Thanks guys. We will be mostly above starvation. I'm excited to give it a go.
[signature]
Not sure how the clarity is now but last week we stopped at the river after leaving Lake Canyon and it was very murky (above Starvation). Hopefully it has cleared.
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0]Not sure how the clarity is now but last week we stopped at the river after leaving Lake Canyon and it was very murky (above Starvation). Hopefully it has cleared.[/quote]

That is typical for the stretch below where Red Creek and Currant Creek join the Strawberry.

It is usually crystal clear above the Pinnacles unless there is a storm in the area and it is usually better fishing up there also.
[signature]
Saturday, the water coming out of Strawberry reservoir dam was crystal clear.
[signature]