Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry - More exercise than fish!
A friend and I decided to try Strawberry today from our kick boats. There haven't been many reports on the trout fishing with most of the reports focusing on the Kokanee so we decided to find out for ourselves. We launched at the Bryant's Fork/East Portal area at around 7:00 and fished until 2:00 using fly gear.

We used both medium and fast sinking lines and size 6 & 8 buggers and leeches. We did not net a fish before 10:00 and we ended up with a total of seven fish, all cutthroats between 13" - 19" long.

The fish were feeding on the surface most of the day on the midges that were coming off the water.

The water temperature was 64-67 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 7' - 8'. The reservoir level is at 86% full and dropping slowly.

There were only two other kick boats and a few shore anglers. I have never fished this area when there were so few people fishing there, maybe the heat or the slow fishing has folks going to the high country.

It was a nice calm day for our first trip to the berry this year.

The fishing was great, the catching was another story.[Wink]
[signature]
Still looks like a good day to be out, thanks for posting.
[signature]
That used to be one of my favorite places to fly fish from a pontoon. If it turned out like your outing I would pick up and go over to Haws.
Unfortunately Strawberry is not what it used to be for me, it was not unusual to have a 15 fish day.
Thanks for your report.....
[signature]