Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
winterizing 2 stroke?
I know it's early and I'll still have the boat out in the fall but as a new boat owner, I am looking ahead to the winter. I have a merc 75 hp 2 stroke with portable gas cans. To winterize the boat do I want to disconnect from the gas cans and run the motor dry? I have heard mixed comments on running the motor empty. Thanks for any tips or comments.
[signature]
When fuel sits in the carb over a period of time, like during the Winter, it will build up a varnish like substance that will clog the ports over time. As you said there are two trains of thought on this. First,as you mentioned, you could unplug your line going to your motor and let it run out of fuel. Some might disagree because they say it will dry out the seals in the carb but I see no problem with this and know of several members that do that and have never had a problem. Second, leave the fuel line connect and do not run it out of fuel. On some boats, that do not have a plug they can disconnect, they never run their motor out of fuel, so in that case you should run SeaFoam or STA-BIL, so the fuel does not break down and leave that varnish in the ports. There are also other brands you can use but I use SeaFoam in every tank of gas I run through by boat, then put Sta-bil in it, in the Fall, on my last few trips out of the year.
[signature]
Thank you for the info. I was worried about the seals going dry but I guess it comes down to preference. I have sea foam in my gas tanks right now, does sea foam treat the gas for storage or is the sta-bil better for storage and sea foam is more of a cleaning agent?
[signature]
Yes, at least IMO, sta-bil is better for storage and sea foam is more of a cleaning agent.
[signature]
don't for get to change you oil in the foot, if water has gotten in it will crack it and fog your cylinders, one other thing to think about is the impeller, being a new boat owner you might want to change it just for piece of mind,
I always run sea foam, and fill the tank and add stable before it get put away for winter.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Thanks for the info. Should I disconnect my fuel line from the motor and put that away for the winter so the line doesn't get cold and cracked? also when storing gas tanks for the winter do you close up the vent or leave it cracked a bit so the pressure can release. I have been leaving those vents open right now when it is stored just due to how hot is, some say you should close them while the boat is being stored or towed. but I have always left them a little open when stored and towing, I know to leave the vent fully open when running the motor. Thanks again for any info. I'm quite the newb with boats.
[signature]
as far as th vents I would fill the tank, add stable and close them, just make sure there full so condensation is kept to a minimal
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
With 40 years of experience, it's as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Ethanol free gasoline and Seafoam with every fill-up. Then Stabil on your last trip and fill-up. Keep the fuel tank full in winter to eliminate air that holds moisture which can then condense in the tank.

2. Spray fogging oil through the carburetor and/or spark plug holes to coat the internal surfaces with oil to prevent wintertime rust and corrosion.

3. Check for water in the lower unit and top off as needed.

I have small engines and motors that are over 30 years old and are still running great using these techniques.
[signature]