Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heat Warning for Tackle
Last month we spent a week at the Lake Powell on the houseboat. We store a pontoon boat there to have with us for fun when we visit. Upon leaving the lake I decided to leave the fishing boat in the storage and bring the pontoon home for some much needed maintenance. A couple of weeks later I headed back down and picked up the fishing boat and brought it back home. A couple of days ago I took the fishing boat out and when I went to some of my 'go-to' lures this is what I found. Even though the lures were in a tackle case within a bag under the boat tarp things obviously got a little hot. I probably lost a couple hundred dollars in good lures from them melting in the heat.
[signature]
That sucks.

[shocked]
[signature]
Looks like they got whirling disease.
[signature]
BRUTAL! Sorry that happened, but thank you for the reminder.
[signature]
I left a fly rod in a case that I won at a tying show in Idaho falls in my camper shell.
The fly rod was ok but the case was all twisted up. I thought it was an aluminum insert, but Sadly it wasn't.
You might try a heat gun on those lures, and see if you can get them straight again.
If not, try them, you might show the fish some action like they've never seen before.
[signature]
I seen a bunch of lures do that once when a friend of mine had left all of his tackle on the floor of his home basement. They were laying a couple feet away from his gas water heater. The water heater developed a slow gas leak that got fixed after about a week. The gas (I guess because it is heaver than air?) settled down around the tackle box. Somehow, that gas caused some kind of chemical reaction on all of his crank baits and caused them to twist up real bad ... even worse than yours. The plastic tackle box itself had no damage at all.

This topic also reminds me of the devastating effect that the petroleum components of soft tubes have on fluorocarbon lines. Tubes left laying against Fluoro (and mono I suspect too) softens and weakens the line. Lost a few nice lake trout at the Gorge until we found that out.

Sorry for hijacking your post whit210.
[signature]
Coot,

You comment leads me to think I better change the layout be on the rods left in the box.
[signature]
Dang that's brutal. When we first moved to st George we stored a bunch of stuff in our garage and learned that same lesson that the heat there will melt a lot of items. No good but just have to live n learn.
[signature]