Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass Fishing
I'm huge into bass fishing and moved here to Utah last year, I know Deer Creek has some nice Bass, but I'm looking for something more local any ideas, I was thinking of going by Day Break but I'm just not so sure. Thanks!!!
[signature]
Good luck on big bass in Ut. Where did you move from??
[signature]
I moved from Boise Idaho I've been up to some spots in Canada, I love CJ Strike which is just in Mountain Home they have monster smallies that come out of there.
[signature]
[quote scotty_needles]

...I love CJ Strike which is just in Mountain Home...

[/quote]

When did they move CJ Strike?[Wink]
[signature]
Where do you think those aircraft come from when your fishing?
[signature]
I was trying to eat some dinner when I read that last comment, I just about laughed it all out lol.
[signature]

[quote scotty_needles]I'm huge into bass fishing and moved here to Utah last year, I know Deer Creek has some nice Bass, but I'm looking for something more local any ideas, I was thinking of going by Day Break but I'm just not so sure. Thanks!!![/quote]

Day Break has some LMB. You might get some smack talking from a local guy convinced that you need to live there, but he is mostly harmless. It is a good place to kill an hour or two, but not a destination fishery for sure.

Deer Creek, Jordanelle, and Utah Lake have some Bass. SMB in Jordanelle, mostly SMB but some LMB in Deer Creek, mostly LMB in UL.

North you have Cutler, Mantua, Willard Bay. Cutler has both SMB and LMB, but while I know they are there, I don't hear of many people other then my Brother fishing for them. Mantua is one of the more known LMB lakes in this general area. Willard Bay is home to LMB and SMB, but I don't think that it is hit for them all that much, with people preferring to fish for Wipers, Walleye, Crappie and Catfish.

As indicated, you are not going to get CJ Strike or Brownlee quality Bass, we just don't have the season length or the food base. You can still catch Bass though.
I just caught a small mouth bass at Pineview near the dam at the bouys at sunset Saturday evening and cleaned it and steamed it with corn on the cob and okra and ate it with friends. Most lures were unproductive but a large silver rattling thing worked.
[signature]
Quail creek and sand hollow will be your best bet for big large mouth, but they are way down south.
[signature]
So what's your concept of a "nice bass"? If you're happy with 12" - 15" bass they're easy enough to find. 16"+ come a bit harder but are still readily available. If you work hard, keep your eyes and ears open you may find some places where you can catch some real pigs. The way some are talking you'd think there isn't a bass in northern Utah bigger than 12", sheesh! In the last several weeks my son and I have caught caught several smallmouth from 2 lbs up to 3.5 lbs. and largemouth from 2 lbs to 5.5 lbs. all in Utah public waters north of Provo's latitude. DWR has a partial list of bass waters you can try. Many of the community ponds have bass to ,but probably not too many big ones.
[signature]
[quote Anglinarcher]
You might get some smack talking from a local guy convinced that you need to live there, but he is mostly harmless. [/quote]

When people do that I like to tell them how I'm going to cook the fish in my hands, and if it's good maybe come back tomorrow and try for a bigger one.
[signature]