Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishlake with kids recommendations
I am taking some young kids ( 4-13 yrs) fishing at fish lake the second week in August. I'd like to ensure they catch fish. Anyone have a recommendation for what to target and where to find them? Are the perch bitting? They don't need to catch big fish. The more action the better. What about splake and other trout? We will be fishing from a large pontoon boat.
[signature]
You didn't mention if you would be fishing out of a boat, but perch are almost always biting. If you don't have a boat, just take them down to Bowry Haven, and let them fish off the lake side of where the boats are tied. Use a little bobber and hang a worm two or three feet below it. The perch will be little, but it will be constant action and the kids will have a blast. If you have a boat, anchor right along the outside edge of the moss line, and have the kids drop a small jig tipped with a piece of worm straight down, and just off the bottom, or above the moss. Again it should be non-stop action. Just don't plan of fishing yourself. You will be busy! Wink
[signature]
Thanks for the info. We will be on a large pontoon boat. We'll try outside the weed line. Do they have a preferred color of jig?
[signature]
They might have a prefered color. I usually use white, because I have a pile of white. The main reason I use a jig is for the wieght. It drops it down to the action faster! If you really want the kids to have a ball, try to achor where it is shallow enough so the kids can see the perch biting at the jigs. It will keep their attention much better than just waiting for a bite. The white on the jig probably attracks them, but a plain old worm on a hook, will work just fine.
[signature]
Small hooks, the perch there are a little small and might not be able to suck up a 1/8 ounce jighead hook. If you really want to be super busy tie the jig at the end with a bit of worm then another plain hook six inches up with a palomar knot and more worm. You'll be unhooking so many doubles you'll wish you had three hands.
[signature]