Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard bay night fishing access
Quick question(s):

Can you still access the north dike from the NE corner without paying to enter the state park? Years and years ago I remember you could park and access the dike. Is that still doable?

If I wanted to night fish Willard, can you enter the South Marina area at night? I forgot if there is a fee to use the South Marina, or if there is a gate that closes at a specific time, etc

Thanks for info!
[signature]
Yes you can but there is no parking area there, it was closed a few years ago when someone stole a truck for the Parks department in that area. You might be able to park on the perimeter road and walk over.
No, you can not enter the South marina after dark, there is a gate and it is a fee area.
You can drive around to the West dike and fish there for free. There is also a road that goes to the Freeway Bay area that is free to park. Hope this helps.
[signature]
[#0000FF]As you have been advised, the park and hike spot on the beginning of the north dike has been closed to public access...by vehicle. But you can still park on the road outside and hike the short distance to the old gate.

I am attaching an excerpt from my writeup on Willard Bay that will some some alternate free public access points for bank tanglers.

Good luck.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Marina/Camping areas (north & south) are open from 6 AM until 10 PM for entry. You can exit 24/7. Fees are $10 (Mon - Thu) and $15 (Fri - Sun & Holidays) with seniors paying $5 less. You can reach the dikes (south, west, and part of the north) via the Harold Crane WMA access road. But you will find it VERY rough once past the Harold Crane entrance gate.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks TubeDude and the others - Appreciate it.
[signature]
Glade to hear about 24/7 exit. I have lights for night fishing and would like to try it at the north marina.
Has anyone done it this year?? I'd love some experienced advice.
[signature]
Thanks, Pat! Great and USEFUL article as usual!

Intriguing:

Regarding: (See TubeDude's PDF)

"West Dike Access:
The perimeter road around the west dike is often not worthy of being called a road. But you can stop anywhere along it and go over the dike to fish."

I've been fishing State Parks with my ice fishing vehicle and occasionally enjoying it's amazing off road capabilities though perhaps not quite legally as it rock crawls right over the boulders placed to prevent access to service roads and rough trails. (Don't tell anybodyWink

I climbed up a steep incline just this afternoon that likely no one would consider driving along the way to East Canyon Reservoir. Perhaps I should call it Honey Badger because it didn't care. Also, the winding mountain road was fun!

Perhaps shore fishing from the "perimeter road around the west dike is often not worthy of being called a road" is a good choice for both shore fishing along with some driving fun.

Is driving up the dike permitted?

Does anyone know any other combinations of good shore fishing that has technical difficulties of accessibility? (I'm new to this sport of off road driving because this is the first time for me to have a vehicle with those capabilities.)

Those would be great fishing destinations for me particularly if camping is permitted.

As far as I can figure, the all too common prohibitions of camping anywhere near where they charge enough for {a night of primitive camping on a few square feet of dirt on our public lands} to be more than enough to pay typical mortgage payments on a house!

Why does it cost that much? When I fished and camped at Sand Hollow, it actually cost more for a tiny unnecessary slab of concrete than it would have cost to drive to St.George and back for a night renting a motel room with air-conditioning, shower, bed, television and cable with a complementary breakfast! But, miss that included breakfast and leave to drive back in the dark or miss the prime early morning fishing!

Why? Is all that for revenue collection only possible because monopolistic prohibitions of lower priced or free camping on OUR public land is necessary to be able to overcharge by more than car payments!

Are there some recommendations of fishing destinations that I would enjoy that also have the advantage of being where government is not granting themselves monopolies powers to overcharge for using a few square feet of public land that we already own?

Gemcityslayer's post of interest in night fishing inspired my many related questions.

With ice fishing we camp out on the ice when ice fishing and I suppose that includes sleeping opportunistically when fishing is slow. We're also already there, rested and refreshed by sleep in the prime time of predawn and early morning fishing without requiring night driving while sleepy. It only makes sense from many perspectives including safety and lives. Is revenue more important?

Camping and night fishing just seem to me to go together. If I'm night fishing and become too sleepy to stay awake to fish, am I then required to drive difficult terrain at night just to travel to a "designated camping site" just for their revenue collection priorities?

What's the difference in legalities between quite common night ice fishing and the near equivalent of camping on land where we shore fish at night when there isn't ice? Is it just jurisdictional? Is the water having different camping regulations than adjacent shore? Is camping in boats permitted where camping on the nearby shore not permitted?
[signature]
I wouldn't drive up the dike at Willard. They frown on that.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Does anyone know what the water depth is in the north marina?
[signature]
[#0000FF]I haven't checked it yet, but plan to. Some good fishing for wipers inside when they come in to chase the young shad and carplets. August into September can be pretty good. Had some fun days sitting in the middle of boils in my float tube while I watched all the boats heading out into the main lake. Also good for kitties inside...and sometimes some crappies...especially after dark.

When I have fished it at full pool in the past the max depth was 12-13 feet. It got a bit above that this year with the high water levels. It has dropped 3-4 feet from the high point earlier. Guessing you might find 9-10 feet at the midpoint of the back basin.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]As you have been advised, don't take any kind of motorized vehicle up on the dikes at Willard. Hiking and bicycles okay.

Agreed. Prices for access and camping for many of our fave fishing venues seems outlandish. Can't answer your why questions. My philosophy is that anytime you ask a "why" questions...and it has to do with people or people's decisions...there is not likely to be a good answer.

Glad you are getting some good use out of your new ride. Just don't test its capabilities beyond your ability to get yourself out of trouble. Like they say about going "all in" at the poker table..."It works every time except for the last one."

There are lots of places around the state where you can use your rough terrain capable vehicle to get to spots not readily accessible by others. And a lot of them allow camping...if you follow the rules of good campmanship. Don't destroy habitat by driving off prescribed roads or trails...and pack out everything you bring in. Even better, carry empty plastic bags and pick up after other slob campers.

In defense of private or govt. run camping facilities, they do not operate for free. They are subject to ever higher costs for building, maintaining and running their operations. And their costs are the same whether or not we use all the facilities and services or not. So...like many other things in life...we don't gotta like it but we do gotta live with it. Kinda like marriage...or work...or government.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat , looking good for an evening hunt in the marine. Think maybe Tuesday will be my lucky night.
I hope those elusive crappie come to play.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have done well inside the marina at night in the past. Try to find an area with a light shining into the water and fish around the edges. Or...as some guys do...bring one of those green submersible lights and hang over the side of the boat. That brings in the zooplankton...then the shad....then the predators.

One of the guys I talked to at the south marina said he had been catching a few crappies inside the south marina...at night. And as I was going out early Thursday morning I saw a school of crappie-ish marks right off the end of the point to the north of the ramps.

Going back a few years there used to be an overhead light near the point of the dike on the south side of the channel at the south marina. During the summer I would park my kids under that light while I tubed out in the main channel for cats. They caught lots of crappies with a jig under a bobber. I still laugh when I remember seeing my daughter launch a crappie back over her head when she got spined.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The perimeter road around the west dike is often not worthy of being called a road. But you can stop anywhere along it and go over the dike to fish."

I drive out to the west dike several times a week. The road gets a little rough when you turn north after giong around the SW corner. Very drivable if you go slow and occasionally switch sides. Extreme mud if its been raining much.

Larry
[signature]
Thanks Larry, Pat and a_bow_nut!

I'll just walk the dike.

I'll stay within the capabilities of the Honey Badger and not do like the stunt drivers in movies that are backed up with 150 stunt modified spares.

But, I will be finding and fishing in great locations hopefully including some that allow camping to make night and just before dawn fishing safer, less of a logistical challenge and more fun and relaxing.
[signature]