Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indigestion
Lived in Utah a bit over 11 years and never fished deer creek. Musel hassles, 30 min further Strawberry etc. Anyhow Willard has been generous with the cats and Wipers but frugal with the Walleyes. So the spousal unit and myself left the house at 4:30 am for a walleye bonanza. Driving through Heber noticed a deer crossing the road so I slowed down to watch a pick-up truck smack it. Arrived at the lake, tried bottom bouncing (nothing). Then went to jigs and picked-up 3 small Waldos. Not worthy of camera time but the spousal unit picked up a 10+ inch perch, so we hung out in the area and caught five more one being slightly bigger and wider than her first. Now, who cares about perch? Well while filleting Mr. Fatty I noticed the stomach protruding and staring at me. It appeared to look like a salamander was his last meal. I went about cutting the stomach open and the perch monster (for Utah) had ate a 3.5" rubber frog. Interesting because there were no hook holes in the frog. I was wondering how long that frog had been in there because there was not much room for any other food. Fun day but as mentioned in another post the power squadron sucks. There were several times I had water coming over the bow of my 17ft tracker and there was little to no wind.
[signature]
I always did better at DC very early before the Power Squadron fired up. This is especially true for the Walleye. Late in the day after the Squadron leaves is also a good time.

As for the plastic, I have never seen plastic or rocks or ...... hurt the fish. The stomach just seems to enlarge.

I remember a rainbow I caught with a stomach full of rocks and snails. The fish must have loved snails and rocks looked a lot like snails. Fish was fine. Well, at least until I cleaned it. LOL

Same thing with an ice fished Laker, but it was plastic. It had been in the fish so long the color was faded and the plastic was starting to break down. I took the plastic and let it dry and it seemed to recover to a fishable state. The fish was fine, well until it went to the cleaning table.

Loved the perch, a couple of nice ones there.
Look at it this way: You now have a free lure, and you know it works.
[signature]