Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Camping
I am planning on making a trip to Flaming Gorge towards the end of the month. I will have my boat and camping trailer (two vehicles). I have been to Flaming Gorge several times and always stayed in one of the campgrounds. I'm just wondering if dry camping is allowed outside of the campgrounds and where a good (not too rough to get to) place might be to stay? I'd like to be fairly close to one of the boat ramps and an area that has decent Kokanee and Lake Trout fishing. What are everyone's thoughts?
Thanks!!
[signature]
There is a turn off on the right side of the road about a mile or two before you get to lucerne with a bunch of free camping spots. You can also turn left down state line cove and camp by swim beach. But I think they charge you $10/day there. If you go down to anvil draw or brinnegars ranch aka squaw hollow there are tons of places to camp for free by the lake, but you probably won't have cell service. Sheep creek has a few good spots but they are all kind of close to the highway.

I'd try and stay by lucerne and fish around the pipeline for kokes, and swim beach or antelope flats for lake trout.
[signature]
Not having cell service is a bonus!
[signature]
We have always camped at Anvil. Plenty of places to camp and nowhere near as busy as the big ramps. Just don't forget to pick up your forest service pass.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Thanks for all of the very helpful information guys!
[signature]
Anvil for the win. Less busy. Tons of options. Outhouse or two if needed. Kokes and Lakers in both directions.
[signature]
Yeah I think I will be staying at Anvil. I haven't fished north of Anvil before. What are some good areas? I'll be in a smaller 16' aluminum boat. Is this an area where I could get off the water quickly if the winds get too strong? If you were fishing for Kokes and Lakers, would a good strategy be to go for the Kokes in the mornings and Lakers in the afternoon/evening? Or does it not make much of a difference? I know at Strawberry I've had much more success in the mornings targeting the Kokes. Will the Kokes still be active and feeding at the end of August and good eating? Thanks again!!
[signature]