Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bobbing around with DuBob
DuBob graciously invited me to join him at Starvation to help break in his new Gzunder Wet ...I mean Thunder Jet... fishing yacht. I accepted.

Wednesday, we caught a total of five species: smallies, wallies, bows, perch, and even kokes. Tactics included jigging, pulling bottom bouncers, casting, and trolling with downriggers (which is Bob's favorite). Kept some of each.

I wanted to pack up and be gone after a half day Thursday, so our take was a bit smaller. We boated another gazillion "corn cob" walleye, plus one 20"+ one we didn't measure, more smallies, lost a nice Starvie Streelie at the net, and for the day's finale, another koke.

Hot lures were swim baits, jig and worm, jig and Gulp Maggots, and the usual koke flasher and squid rigs. For some reason, none of the species wanted curly-tail plastics but loved paddle-tails. Weird.

The boat? Luxury and every modcon, including a high-pressure wash-down hose. If DuBob asks you, go!
[signature]
Sounds like a great trip. Gotta love those lakes with that kind of diversity. Glad to see you took advantage of the boat ride. Great report, Thanks for posting it.
[signature]
I too enjoyed a day out on the water with Bob a few weeks back, he differently has a nice boat, a big step up from his last boat. I did not know they were planting kokes in Starvation, was there any size to them?
[signature]
I'm told they planted kokes in Starvie last year. The four we caught could have been clones at about 10" long. All the folks we talked to said people had been trying, but nobody had caught any. Until DuBob came along, that is!

He found them while trolling for other kinds. One look at the "blob" on his finder and he said, "I bet those are kokes." We came back later, set up for them specifically and got three on the first pass through that same area.

No, I ain't saying where.
[signature]
Thats pretty good to have kokes that big, since they were stocked last year, it will be interesting to see how big they get in the coming years.
[signature]
We ate one last night, and I found that it was 10" minus the head, so those Starvie kokes are even bigger than I thought.

I'm also in big trouble. Claudia took two bites of her half and said to me. "Catch more of these." She said the same thing about the rainbow fillet I grilled, something about "Is this a different species than you usually catch? Because it's ten times better tasting."

Looks like my kayak is going to see more of Strawberry and Starvation.
[signature]
Next year can't be much better, my friend. And you were rightfully bragging about the Jet.
[signature]