Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing days?
Anyone fishing the dog days of summer. I haven't hit the water for 30 days due to it. May head to the inner banks for some crabs, see what happens. [Wink]
[signature]
I was wondering what happened to you Gregg, miss reading your reports. Hope you can get out soon. I usually get out at least once a week but it has been poor catching as of late[Sad].
Do you grow a garden, here is a pic of my wife standing by a sunflower plant.
[signature]
was wondering what happened to you, thought you might gone back to that awful work thing again,lol
[signature]
holy cow,that sunflower is bigger than jacks bean stalk lol
[signature]
LOL, yea, it's pretty big but the one we grew last year was even bigger, 13 ft. Here is a pic of that one.
[signature]
That is unbelievable. Good furtalizer there and watermelons that I can't seem to grow. Yesterdays report to be posted. Half my garden is past due. I'll be planting again in a few weeks for fall crop. Peanuts are growing well.
[signature]
I put three truck loads of manure in my garden, every year in the Spring, then in the Fall I get all my neighbors to donate their leaves, seems to work out pretty good. Tried growing Peanuts last year but they did not produce very good, so I gave up on them. Here are some more pics. Sorry about hijacking your post[blush].
[signature]
Yes the drip irrigation is the way to go. Now I know how you have watermelons along with the manure. I'll look into that next year. Always feel free to change a subject, anything to bring in more posts. lol Heat index at 100 tomorrow so I'll be staying home. next week I have a commitment to take the pastor out for cat fish. I'll let you know how we make out.
[signature]
Wow thats hot and with the humidity, it could be a killer, better to wait for sure. We finally got some cooler weather here, got one day this week that it only got up to 77 degrees, it was a welcome change after such a hot Summer. Good luck next week with the pastor.
[signature]
Thanks, looks like lower humanity and 80 degree temps on Friday. Might have to take him more often, LOL. I will let the folks know how our fishing goes that day. Looks also good to get to the inner banks to check out a new spot for me on speckeled trout and Drum. Also time to plant for fall crops here next week as well. Still trying to figure all that out too, Nothing like a challenge. [Wink]
[signature]
I've never eaten Drum are they similar to carp? What kind of plants do you plant for Fall crop?
I was wondering about this statement you made:
[quote gdn443]Yes the drip irrigation is the way to go. Now I know how you have watermelons along with the manure. [/quote]

Even before I had a drip irrigation system I grew watermelons, using cow manure as fertilizer, can that be a problem? We have been doing that for 30 plus year and have never had a problem, what have you heard about it?
[signature]
What I've read watermelon needs a lot of water, hence the name. Not many cows in my area to draw from, but next year I'll buy some composed. But when the local guys crop come in I can buy them for $4-$5 a piece. So I'll thing about them next year. I'll be planting fall crop for Korabies, Beets, Kale etc. next week. I have a tomato plant that started to grow in the trash heap and has flowers on it. Blows this northern boy away. Pests are a new problem to me as I see so many different ones down here. Again it's a lt's a learning curve for me. But with the price of red and yellow peppers I'll be planting and canning a lot more next year. They keep growing and producing flowering even today after all this heat. On another note I was disappointed that no answers on the cat fish boards on baits. But I'll try the ones new to me and report.
[signature]
So they don't raise cattle in NC or just not near you? I also put a large number of, like 25 bags of leaves in my garden every Fall, till them in, then put another 10 bags of leaves on top and let them sit during the Winter, then in the Spring, I till it all up before adding the Manure. I get all my manure from a livestock action place near me. I've never grown Korabies, Beets, Kale but they must grow quick, to get them to produce by Fall. When you say red and yellow peppers, are you talking about Bell peppers or hot peppers?
Too bad no one responded to your post on the cat fish board. I'm far from an expert on catching cats but have you ever tried Dip baits or Punch baits?
[signature]
Tough for me to get too many leaves as I have pine trees, but I have been stockpiling grass cuttings for a mulch pile. No this is farm land. More fields of soy bean than you can count. Must be a good price this year as tobbacco and cotton fields are down. Yes I use stink bait for them and have a lot of good luck with them. This trip I tried chicken livers and soaked pcs of hotdog in the juice. We had a couple of good hits but no hook ups. Bummer as I don't get skunked often down here now. I guess last end Aug isn't a good time for cats. Why they call it fishing not catching. Still had a great day with two bald eagles flying around us and they caught some nice bass. [crazy] I still want to hit the sound in the next two weeks for any blue crabs or anything else I can pickup. Oh ya I was talking about red sweet peppers.
[signature]
I don't get that many leaves from my yard, most of the ones I till into my garden comes from friends and neighbors. I also put all my grass clipping from my yard into my garden during the Summer but don't till them in until the Fall.
Too bad the catching for cats was so bad, hopefully you do better for the blue crabs and anything else you can get.
[signature]
[quote gdn443] I still want to hit the sound in the next two weeks for any blue crabs or anything else I can pickup. [/quote]

Did you ever make it out for those blue crabs?
[signature]
I plan on going this Friday as weather looks good. Hated having to buy them last week. I'll let y'all know. [Wink]
[signature]
Hope you find some today. I've never eaten any of they, do they taste different than other craps? Also, how big do they get, I've caught small ones but did not think they were big enough to be worth eating.
[signature]
Well I picked up two crabs on piers and two in a crab trap. Thats enough for a pot of sauce. Yes they taste like any other crab meat. Need to be 5" from point to point. Also got a snapping turtle that I wanted to make stew out of, but after a female campaign from my wife, daughter in law and daughter to save the turtle, I let it go in the river. [Tongue] I did pick up some good info on this new area from fishermen at the ramp. I'm sure I'll be back one more time. Monday it's back to the river for bass.

On the garden front. A tomato plant I planted has grown 5". Hope I can get a second crop from it. Also Beets,Spinach,Beans,Kohlrabi, kale and radishes are growing well. Putting peat moss to this soil and lime has helped a lot. Also my watermelon is grapefruit size, fingers crossed.[cool]
[signature]
Good for you, it takes time to learn a new area but it sounds like you are well on your way to figuring it out there, with the help from the locals. I caught a snapping turtle in Alabama when i was younger but I've never eaten one, I hear they taste like chicken[Wink]. Good luck with the bass tomorrow.

[quote gdn443]
On the garden front. A tomato plant I planted has grown 5". Hope I can get a second crop from it. Also Beets,Spinach,Beans,Kohlrabi, kale and radishes are growing well. Putting peat moss to this soil and lime has helped a lot. Also my watermelon is grapefruit size, fingers crossed.[cool][/quote]

Do you mean 5', if it grew only 5" it must have some pretty small tomatoes, lol. I have never grown kale, do you eat it in a salad or boil it[:/]? I've heard of folks using lime to build up the soil, does it help change the Ph in the soil? I've never done it before but I've also heard of folks putting Epsom salt in the soil, one guy told me it's almost like a fertilizer and makes the plants grow faster.
[signature]