Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish ID Help
Can you help me ID these fish? When I google it the pictures for Golden Trout look more like these pictures than a Rainbow. I have no idea.
The first picture was taken from Wikipedia - Golden Trout. Its what I mainly used to compare with the other pic.
Thanks
[signature]
First one is a Golden Trout.

Second one is a Rainbow Trout. Yes, Rainbows have parr marks when they are young too.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
I love those golden trout. Caught those years ago up high in the unitas. Is that where you found them? They will have a little variations in color, spawning and age. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
second is a cut i catch some like that in mountain streams.
[signature]
2nd is def juvenile rainbows.
[signature]
It is a naturalized locally spawned bow in pic. # 2.

In river environments where the fish in full natural colors they take on a special look for sure. The bows that are planted have lost a lot of their color due to the race ways they are raised in.

Still, I could see confusing them with native Cutts. If you had never seen a "naturalized/native" bow that size you could make that assumption.

Yes, young cuts also have the parr markings but the spots are much smaller and, depending on the subspecies, they will be showing the slash under their jaw.
As a few others have said, the fish in the second pictures of yours are rainbow trout. Below is a golden trout I caught last week from "golden pond" in the Uintas. In both this fish and the Wikipedia picture provided, you can see differences between rainbows and goldens.

Both golden trout pictured have fairly large, uniform spots on the tail but very few to no spots on the main body, especially in front of the part in front of the tail (the peduncle). There are almost never spots below midline. Goldens have a red belly and white tipped fins. And they have a golden body (of course).

Rainbows also can be yellowish to golden, as yours are, especially in streams, but they typicaly have more spots and will often have lots of spots below midline, as yours do. As was said, parr marks are common in river run rainbows, especially smaller ones. In your fish, the huge number of spots prove they are not goldens. Your fish also do not have red bellies, as a golden would.

Nevertheless, stream run rainbows are real jewels in their own right. Good catch!
[signature]