Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake on Fire
Fished Utah Lake today with Jon and his son. It took several stops to find the fish, but when we found them it was fish on the rest of the day. If I went 5 minutes without a bite I would reel in and every time I did my bait was gone. We caught a grundle of catfish (average was about 26") and at least two grundles of white bass. Once we found the fish I don't believe I went without at least one bite on one of my two rods for five minutes, for well over five hours. We caught numerous doubles and triples of catfish and also white bass. I finished the day by hooking a catfish on both rods (I did this two other times during the day) and handed one rod to Jon's son to reel one in.

Jon's son is one fish catching machine.[Smile]

[inline "Bren Fish.jpg"]

[inline Doubles.jpg]
[signature]
Good for you, Kent. There's nothing like getting the kids into those fish and hooked on fishing, but tons of fun for us too. Looks like you might have been real close to where I was getting into them a couple of weeks ago. I need to go do that again, but there are so many places I also need to go fish.... so many fish, so little time....
[signature]
Great day. It's always nice to have a day that's all catching. Guess I need to head south and give it a try.

Larry
[signature]
Sounds Like a great day. What were they liking for bait
[signature]
[quote lifeshort]

What were they liking for bait

[/quote]

We were primarily using fresh-caught white bass cut into chunks. They were also readily biting chunks of sucker. For awhile, I also chopped up a couple Berkley Gulp Minnows and used them to keep my cut bait from sliding off of my barbless hooks. I have a hunch that they would have bit any type of bait.
[signature]
Nice report Kent, sounds like a very fun day... Thanks for sharing it with us.... and Jon's son... later J
[signature]
Well done Kent. Been there, done that... fun.

I have fished UL all summer now at least 4-5 times a week and often, as weather allows, I'll fish morning and again at night. Same old same old... 24 - 26 inch cats non-stop but nothing approaching 30 inches. Where are they? I know there are big ones out there but they have alluded me all year. Not complaining mind you, cuz it is fun to do battle with husky cats any time, but just once I'd like to find something a wee bit bigger than 27 or so inches.

Undaunted, the chase continues.
[signature]
when I read the title, I honestly thought the lake was actually on fire... you know, some of the stuff that gets in there via run off, etc.

LIT FAM!!
[signature]
Thanks for the exciting report and the pictures of those smiling fishermen!
[signature]
[quote Boatloadakids]Well done Kent. Been there, done that... fun.

I have fished UL all summer now at least 4-5 times a week and often, as weather allows, I'll fish morning and again at night. Same old same old... 24 - 26 inch cats non-stop but nothing approaching 30 inches. Where are they? I know there are big ones out there but they have alluded me all year. Not complaining mind you, cuz it is fun to do battle with husky cats any time, but just once I'd like to find something a wee bit bigger than 27 or so inches.

Undaunted, the chase continues.[/quote]

At least your getting out lotsa lots.
The real problem is that large cats have all moved north. [:p]

And that your lake is on fire!
What's happening with the algae bloom? Any problems of that sort?
[signature]
Skinny-- The water looks good, no sign of the algae crap. The winds have been from the north and that usually piles the stuff up along the south shore but nothing so far. I hope the algae has come and gone for the year.

Yote-- Good to hear from you again... you seem to have kept a low profile of late. You may be right about the big cats moving north. I'll try farther north... like the north side of Bird Island and see if that helps.

It ain't over yet.
[signature]
[quote SkinnyLynnie]What's happening with the algae bloom? Any problems of that sort?[/quote]

[#0000FF]Fished out of Lindon today. Noticed a few globules of regular green algae. But that is typical this time of year.

If you want a website to keep up on the routine testing and evaluation check in on the [url "https://deq.utah.gov/Divisions/dwq/health-advisory/harmful-algal-blooms/bloom-events/bloom-2017/utah-lake-jordan-river/index.htm"]DEQ WEBSITE[/url]
They posted a report on August 2 noting that the algae bloom seemed to be dissipating and that it was possible that a couple more good tests could remove the public advisory.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
That's a good day of kitty catching. My 10 year old son and I fished off the shore at Provo marina Wednesday afternoon and landed a dozen chunky Whities and one 26" Cat in about an hour and a half. My son was blown away that the White Bass would bite on a chunk of their own kind within minutes of casting.
[signature]
Hi this is Jon's son bigfish6jr, we had so much fun with Kent and we were catching one after one non stop. I even
Caught a fish on a jig that I tied. We had 2 on at the same
time and 3at a time and 4at a time all where whitebass
then we caught 3 channel cats at a time.
[signature]
It was a pleasure fishing with you again. Your dedication to actively fishing the entire time we were there reminded me of when I was growing up. I could fish from daylight to sunset (and still can) from about age four. I look forward to my next trip, with you and your father, whenever that may be.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I was debating between UL and D.C yesterday. After reading your post decided to take the float tubes to UL. Never found the cats but had a blast catching white bass one after another. Also saw someone else with a real nice walleye.
[signature]
When we came in yesterday I learned why it is named Battle Creek. There must have been 15 anglers who had waded out and we're combat fishing for I presume white bass.
[signature]
Is all this action only at Lincoln beach? What about American fork?
[signature]
On Thursday, we launched at American Fork Boat Harbor and tried fishing in several places inside of the harbor without any action at all. We then moved over to where the sewer treatment plant goes into the lake, between the American Fork Boat Harbor and Lindon, and caught one catfish and a couple white bass. Our final stop was in front of Battle Creek, where we found many cats and non-stop action on the white bass. Yesterday, we started out from Battle Creek and only caught one catfish and a couple white bass. We then moved down to the Mud Lake area and did OK, but it still wasn't fast and furious. We finished at Bird Island and the action was really good there.

Burned lots of gas in the boat moving around Utah Lake.
[signature]