Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kayak Help
For those of you who fish out of a kayak, how many of you run a keel guard and where did you get them from? I recently purchased one and would like to make sure I don't wear a hole in it from loading and what not.
[signature]
I don't use one. I wouldn't bother unless you see actual damage from normal launch and landing.
[signature]
They are not really needed on kayaks unless you purchased a wood or fiberglass yak. The molded plastic used in modern kayaks is very crack resistant and you will have to really try to wear a hole in it. If you plan on transporting the boat but don't want to carry or drag it, then a two wheeled kayak cart is a must. I found mine on EBay for $30, there are lots of options. Large wheels, aluminum frame and a strap are three key items. Don't buy the "scupper post" style, they will ruin your kayak as it puts stress on the plastic in the scupper holes.
You can also get a molded foam kayak pad at Sportsmans for $5 for loading on your vehicle. It keeps the boat keel from touching the truck bed or car top.
[signature]
My Hobie Pro Angler does use a scupper hole cart, but it is designed to do so and comes with the cart. If your kayak didn't come with a cart, chances are you shouldn't use a scupper hole type with it. But there are lots of others, including a gazillion homemade kinds. See YouTube for lots of them.
[signature]
So for those of you who own a kayak, how many of you have painted them? If you have whats the best method and paints to use to make sure the paint lasts more than one trip?
[signature]
Not I. Mine is fine the way it came.
[signature]
Sorry I guess I should explain what I am doing. I purchased a kayak from a friend at work and am planning to use it for duck hunting a fishing but for duck hunting the bright red color isn't going to help me. So I am in the process of trying to decide how to make it camo. I have come to two conclusions, the first being to paint it ( which I haven't had much luck with at the moment) or option two is to make a removable slip cover out of 500-1000 cordura then I don't have to worry about it ripping or peeling off plus since its removable I can wash and dry it and wont have to worry about mold and what not.
[signature]
Option #3. Cover it in camouflage duct tape. [Wink]

That would be about as redneck as you could get. Lol
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
That was actually one of my friends suggestions haha
[signature]
I would be hesitant to drape a cover on the kayak in case of capsizing. Hate to get tangled in the thing. You might try to sell it for a good price and buy a camouflage model.
[signature]
Maybe see if they can put one of those wraps on it like they do on boats.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
There is a Krylon rattle can that is specifically made for plastic that ad hears pretty well. I painted an entire 9 ft dingy a few years back for duck hunting and the paint held up well for 2 seasons. If you do spray it, then roughing up the plastic with an 80 grit sandpaper helps.
I hunt off my kayak and absolutely love it, but I would warn against trying to travel with a cordura slip cover. If you can make a good one then do it, but put it on after you get to your spot. Any grass, camo or random stuff you have dragging in the water as you travel certainly makes it slower and makes the vessel track differently. You especially don't want that when wearing waders and loaded heavy with gear. It took me a few trips to figure out how to rig all my gear to hunt and still have speed and safety. I have definitely exceeded the weight limit but I can safely travel now, even with my dog laying at my feet. (Only waist deep water, no rivers)
[signature]
Maybe I will leave it as is for now and just touch it up after every trip and try to figure something out next spring
[signature]
But I will take the advice of keeping the cover off until I get to a spot then I can just keep it red and peeling camo and not worry about it to much.
[signature]