Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Supplemental Reading
[#0000FF]Doing a rewrite on my Utah Lake CD/book. It has been mainly about fishing but on this edition I am going to include a lot of "supplemental reading"...on subjects such as water quality, algae blooms, the June sucker program, the Provo River Delta plan, the carp removal plan, etc.

I thought it would be easy...just collect some of the newspaper and TV coverage from the past few years, do some copy and paste and it would be done. Nay, not so. I have become lost in a sea of info. Curse the Internet.

But I have been coming up with a lot of goodies that I thought might be of general interest to fellow BFTers and plan to post one or two each week. Don't want to bore anyone to death with minutia but I know there are some folks who have unanswered questions on some of these topics.

The first PDF file I am posting below was written by a BYU prof...Dr. Merritt. In this one paper he covers most of the pertinent issues for Utah Lake and manages to keep it interesting...even for the non scholars amongst us. Also, here is some background on the author.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF] [/#0000FF]
LaVere B. Merritt, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE
[url "mailto:MerrittLB@gmail.com"]MerrittLB@gmail.com[/url] 801-420-8112
Dr. Merritt is a professor emeritus of civil & environmental engineering, Brigham Young University. His research and public service activities have included many multidisciplinary studies and evaluations of Utah Lake. He is the developer of the LKSIM model; this
computer model simulates the water and salt balances for Utah Lake. He served as member and then chair of the Provo Metropolitan Water Board for many years.
He is a consultant to both public and private entities on Utah Lake matters.
[#0000FF][/#0000FF]
[signature]
Good stuff. Well written, researched and presented. Covers just about everything you would want to know about UL. Looks like one of the biggest threats to the lake is the phrags.

Would like to have seen a section on where to find the bigger catfish.

Thanks TD and Doc Merritt
[signature]
Excellent article thanks for posting.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you like it. Sorry, no big Xs on the spots where the big fish hang out. Gotta find your own.

About the phrags...there has been a lot done to remove them from several areas around Utah Lake. Here is a PDF I put together with info from the Utah Lake Commission.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nothing to add, just felt this was important to bump up to the top.
[#0000FF]Thanks.

I have been buried in "light reading". Any particular subjects you might be interested in?

The main book covers fishing venues and individual species. But the new supplemental reading section covers a lot of the background...lake history, ecology, pollution, algae blooms, the June sucker program, carp removal, Provo River Delta plan, shoreline restoration, harbor dredging and renovations, etc.

I plan to post up some more stuff each week for the next couple of weeks...while trying to get the rewrite finalized.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I wish I had topics for you. For sure, invasive species control is a big one for me, but the latest article sounded like I could have written it.
great work pat!
[signature]