Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forsyth on the Fly w/pics
A buddy and I fished Forsyth Reservoir today from our kick boats. We hadn't been for awhile and wanted to see how the fish are doing after the valve failure on the dam last year that nearly drained the reservoir.[:/]

We used both medium sinking lines and fast sinking lines with size 8 bead head leeches and buggers in green, olive, black/orange, and black/red/blue (midnight fire). We fished from 9:30 until 2:30 a picked up all tiger trout between 11" and 18" long. The best method was to cast out 50' - 60' of line, paddle for 15-20 seconds and then strip the fly in. Those tigers have a hard time letting anything get away from them.

The reservoir level is down about 12' - 15' from full and still dropping. The water temperature was 60-61 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 4' because of algae in the water column. There were some mayflies along with some midges that the fish were coming to the surface for. There are also a lot of backswimmers/waterboatman near the bottom

There were a couple of boats on the water and a couple of shore anglers and that was it. It was a nice day, cool with a few light showers from time to time and very little wind.
[signature]
Looks like a nice peaceful trip without the usual jet skis and such.
[signature]
Holy cow that post brings back memories!

Last time I was there was about thirty years ago with my grandfather before he passed away. It was loaded with fat, 18-22" rainbows and we caught the heck out of them fishing a double renegade behind a full sinking bubble.

The creek right below mill meadow was awesome as well and I caught lots of BIG brookies and browns from there.

I really miss that lake sometimes.

Mike
[signature]
[quote gmwahl]Holy cow that post brings back memories!

Last time I was there was about thirty years ago with my grandfather before he passed away. It was loaded with fat, 18-22" rainbows and we caught the heck out of them fishing a double renegade behind a full sinking bubble.

The creek right below mill meadow was awesome as well and I caught lots of BIG brookies and browns from there.

I really miss that lake sometimes.

Mike[/quote]

I remember when there use to be some large brookies in Forsyth too. The reservoir no longer is stocked with rainbows and was treated to remove yellow perch that were illegally planted in 2011 or 2012.[:/] It has since been stocked with tiger trout and splake and the last couple of years, cutthroats. The DWR stocks about twice as many tigers as splake.

The splake have been hard to come by for me and I have tried to target them with very little success.

I'm sure your method of the fly behind a full bubble would still work today for the tigers.

The stream below Mill Meadow still has some browns but no brookies that I know of. Mill Meadow has also been fishing good this year for browns and rainbows.

Forsyth is a nice quiet place and with Mill Meadow and the Thousand Lake Mountain lakes close by you have lots of options if you don't find fish in one place, it's not far to the next one.[Wink]
[signature]