Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keel protection
I discovered that I lost a bump pad off of my trailer and as a result the keel has been rubbing on one of the cross bars. The fiberglass is scraped up pretty good right on the point of the keel for about 5 feet. I was considering buying a keel guard, but I have read that they shouldn't be applied where the keel will come in contact with rollers or similar. I have installed a new rubber bump pad and a keel guard would slide across the bump pad every time I launch or retrieve my boat. Are there any products that I can install myself that will protect my boat and last or if not can anyone recommend a place that can install a product such as Linex?
[signature]
Thought I'd move this to this board Kent, hopefully someone can help you here.
[signature]
You might have to repair it with epoxy resin. Especially if the damage reached the matte, you don't want it to freeze and the damage to get worse.

Epoxy resin works like fiber glass resin. But it is stronger and more flexible. The marine store recommended this over fiberglass for repairs.

Get a few estimates and decide from there. It could be minor cosmetic or major hull/keel patch work?

Good luck !
[signature]
Thanks. I will look into it. Because it is in a place that is totally invisible to others, I likely will want to try the repair myself. I will do some searching around, on the internet, and see what I can learn about working with resin.
[signature]
West system has a small patch kit that comes with a couple squeeze pouches of epoxy, fiberglass mat, fiberglass weave, cabosil and micro-balloon filler, mixing stick, and an applicator brush. Pretty easy kit for the DIY repairs. Just google west system boat repair kit.
[signature]
Thanks. I need to repair the gel coat for approximately 50" long and 3/4" wide. I sent them an email inquiring what they recommend (I doubt their repair kit would contain enough material for my needs).
[signature]
Is it just the gel coat or can you see fiberglass strands? If you are able to take a picture of it that would help as well. Without seeing the damage it is hard to know what to recommend. I have about 6 yrs of composites experience under my belt using epoxy, polyester, vinyl ester resins, and have used carbon fiber, kevlar, S-Glass, E-Glass, and other more exotic composites. Having recently restored a fiberglass boat working with glass can be a pain but based on experience gel coat damage usually means hidden cracks. Cracks have to be feathered to an edge then properly filled. YouTube has some good videos that show how to do that.
[signature]
I don't believe I can see any strands, but the gel coat is entirely worn off on the point of the keel for about 50" long. Centurylink is having issues with their email services so although I took a picture I am unable to email it to myself in order to post it. If you want to PM me your cell number I can send the picture to you.

Thanks,
[signature]
Here is a picture. Realize the camera is really close to the boat, so it may look worse than it actually is.
[signature]
about how wide is it, I assume it just runs down the bottom of the keel, if so, you might get away with filling it in with the epoxy, I would recommend a keel guard, I love mine and after looking it, it defiantly saves the keel.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
About 3/4" wide.
[signature]
I would fill it in with epoxy and get a keel guard to put over it, they make them pretty long, but read the instructions very carful, you only get one chance to get it on striate, they stick on there really good, if you pull up on shore it defiantly saves your keel.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
There is a trick I found when filling larger scratches with epoxy filler and it involves using cabosil (fumigated silica) and epoxy (do not use polyester resin for this) and tape. Using acetone you clean the scratched area really well. Then using the epoxy and cabosil you mix until it becomes a paste that won't run (commonly called peanut butter).

If the scratch is real small then don't mess with the tape idea.

Using a plastic scraper you apply the filler to the scratch and do your best to fill the void and leave a bit extra. Now you use some clear 2" wide tape and use the non-sticky side.

Apply the tape over the scratch and use a plastic squeegee to force out air bubbles and excess filler so that the tape is acting like a mold or forum to blend the filler to both sides of the gel coat. Acetone can be used to cleanup excess so that it doesn't have to be sanded as much later.

After epoxy cures some light sanding and a bit more filling may be necessary. After that cures then you need to paint since epoxy will turn yellow over time. Lowes or Dome Heapo may have some of that marine grade topside paint that will work to paint over the epoxy to keep it from yellowing. If you're real worried about the color matching then a paint store can mix up a pint of urethane paint to match the gel coat.

There are lots of YouTube videos about rolling and tipping paint so the finish comes out smooth.
[signature]
[quote MSM1970]

I would fill it in with epoxy and get a keel guard to put over it...

[/quote]

I read online that they didn't advise installing a keel guard if it would rub against a roller or similar. This section will rub against a bumper pad every time I launch or trailer my boat. What are your thoughts?
[signature]
Thanks for the advice. I will see what I can learn from Online videos.
[signature]
I know there tough, I can see why they say that. Is it a roller or slides over it? I think it would take quite a while before it wore out on a roller. They are ment to slide up a beach. I know my boat will always have one.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
It will slide across a bumper pad.
[inline "bumper pad.JPG"]
[signature]
I still think it will last a long time.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
This is the advice I received from West Marine:

"Hi Kent,
Our most convenient product for replacing the worn gelcoat would be Six-10 Thickened Epoxy. Here is a link to more info: [url "http://www.westsystem.com/specialty-epoxies/six10-thickened-epoxy-adhesive/"]http://www.westsystem.com/specialty-epoxies/six10-thickened-epoxy-adhesive/[/url]. It will spread like mayonnaise over the chafed area (be sure it is clean and sanded with 80-grit). You can sculpt it with a flexible plastic spreader. It will require painting after it has cure and will need to be washed with water and sanded dull with 100-120-grit sandpaper prior to painting with a one part paint. Krylon Fusion and Rustoleum All Surfaces Paint both work well for this.
Feel free to call with questions.
Regards,

Tom Pawlak |
Gougeon Brothers, Inc"
[signature]
That sounds like good advise on how to get the rubbed area fixed. I'd see how that turns out. Then make the call on the guard.you might want to look at one on a boat then you'll know what it looks and feels like. Might want to ask before you get fresh with someones boat.😁
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.