Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red sided shiner hatch
Got pressured to make up some special lures I created some years ago, but in "UTAH" colors. I figured a school or red sided would be the way to go.

So, If you were to do your own, what color would be your favorite?

[Wink]
[signature]
Wow! Those things are spot on exact replicas of them. You're quite a lure artist!

Mike
[signature]
Agree with Mike they look awesome. Do they work as well as they look? Nice job!!! Later J
[signature]
[quote Anglinarcher]

[/quote]

For our local fishing I believe you have the best colors possible (at least for trout). You do fine work. Did you paint them free hand?
[signature]
Wow, those lures so real it's amazing, you are quite the artist. Another good choice would be a chub or maybe a sucker, all good bait fish. A sucker would be great for Northern pike, maybe even Lake trout.
[signature]
Way cool!!!
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]Agree with Mike they look awesome. Do they work as well as they look? Nice job!!! Later J[/quote]

This is a new color for me, but yes, they do work very well. I entered the design into an international lure contest about 10 years ago and made it into the top 10, but did not win. I have improved it since, but still need to make it easier to make. It takes far too long....ugg.

I will try to take some video of it swimming and post it later. Wife out of town and it is hard to hold camera and handle rod at same time.

In other colors, I have caught as many as 50 fish in a day with it in Washington State, and in a blue back silver sided version I had a stellar day on Strawberry the last time I fished there.

But, some days are coal, some are diamond, and that is the nature of fishing.[fishin]
[quote kentofnsl][quote Anglinarcher]

[/quote]

......... [#ff0000]Did you paint them free hand[/#ff0000]?[/quote]

No, I cheat. I use a photo transfer technique similar to making decals and clear coat with a Ultra Violet curing polymer.
[quote wiperhunter2]Wow, those lures so real it's amazing, you are quite the artist. Another good choice would be a chub or maybe a sucker, all good bait fish. A sucker would be great for Northern pike, maybe even Lake trout.[/quote]

Thanks, I am looking for a good side profile photo of a young chub and a young sucker.

If anyone can PM me a great side photo, I would appreciate it.

I hope next week to make it up to Scofield with my brother to collect cut bait for the winter. I will just need to keep pounding the rivers and have my camera with me for the "young sucker".

Chub and Sucker, good ideas.
Do you sell them? I'm a buyer if you do. Beautiful!
[signature]
Man that sounds like a really cool process. Thanks for showing us. J
[signature]
[quote pezvela]Do you sell them? I'm a buyer if you do. Beautiful![/quote]

No, I don't sell them at this time. The ones shown are ones my wife sold on me, but I think I need to redesign them so that the process will go faster.

[fishin]
[signature]
[quote Anglinarcher]

Thanks, I am looking for a good side profile photo of a young chub and a young sucker.

I hope next week to make it up to Scofield with my brother to collect cut bait for the winter. I will just need to keep pounding the rivers and have my camera with me for the "young sucker".

Chub and Sucker, good ideas.[/quote]

We caught a bunch of chubs at Lost creek a few weeks back but never got any pics of them, if I get out next week, like I'm hoping to, I'll get some pics for you.
[signature]
How 'bout a rainbow trout pattern?
[signature]
Ya, a lot of people don't realize that when they stock all those 4 to 6 inch rainbows that every predator in the lake/stream puts on the feed bag.

I have caught lots of 18" rainbows with as many as three 5" baby bows in their guts. I have caught lots and lots of Browns with even more. LOL

The attached picture was of some different patterns I did a few years ago. The baby rainbows and baby bass have been productive for me. My Brother is trying to get my baby bass for Hyrum right now. LOL

[fishin]
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2][quote Anglinarcher]

We caught a bunch of chubs at Lost creek a few weeks back but never got any pics of them, if I get out next week, like I'm hoping to, I'll get some pics for you.[/quote]

That would be awesome. I have found a couple of Chub photos on line, but not good close-ups.

I know this is a strange request, but does anyone know where there is a stream, or lake, with lots of small suckers in it? Ugg, never figured I would "fish" for suckers. LOL
[quote Anglinarcher][quote wiperhunter2]Wow, those lures so real it's amazing, you are quite the artist. Another good choice would be a chub or maybe a sucker, all good bait fish. A sucker would be great for Northern pike, maybe even Lake trout.[/quote]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have some frozen chubs from Scofield I can give you if that helps.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Here are some pics from my personal collection that show the range from golden to more silverish. There can be color variations depending on the water chemistry, size of chubs, time of year (spawning), etc.

But if you want to make a standard pattern start with a grey-green back, goldish sides and a white belly. During spawning time they sometimes develop lateral lines along their sides...looking more like redside shiners.

I personally feel that anything in good representational colors will work...since predators feed on other species (like carp and suckers) of similar sizes and colors. The main difference is that young suckers often have some spots on them.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I think the best imitation would be the June Sucker
[signature]
[quote Anglinarcher].......

The attached picture was of some different patterns I did a few years ago. The baby rainbows and baby bass have been productive for me. My Brother is trying to get my baby bass for Hyrum right now. LOL

[fishin][/quote]

Sorry, pictures did not attach.

The baby bows and baby bass are attached now.