Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon Advice
I'm taking the scouts to East Canyon this weekend. Unfortunately, the DNR report says that things have slowed down lately. Wish we could hit up strawberry, but it's too far to make it worth it for the scouts.

We will have a group fishing from shore and another group trolling on my boat (lead line and/or long lining straight back).

We will be camping on the North end of the lake at the Dixie Campground.

Anyone had much luck up there lately? Thanks in advance for any advice!
[signature]
I went up Sunday and fished for four hours and not even a bite, but sometimes fishing is like that.
[signature]
If we get the cool down they are forcasting, it may get the trout fishing going. The trolling with the boat should be productive.

The shore anglers can try a couple of things. A small jig with bait suspended 3 to 5 feet under a bobber, fished near brush stickups. I have had some luck with small bass and wipers near shore in the brush when fishing from a float tube.

Also, good ole power bait floated off the bottom can produce some trout from shore.

Good Luck!
[signature]
I fished there a month ago. Trolled for two hours. Nada. Go to Echo. Lots of Bows and Smallies from shore and trolling.

IteLines
[signature]
One thing I'd suggest, tip all your trolled lures with a piece of worm, if trout are following your lures but just not hitting them, a piece of worm on any lure will seal the deal. Good luck and please let us know how you do.
[signature]
Thanks for all the responses. I thought we might get rained out, but it ended up being a pretty good trip. We fished in the evening for about 45 min just before the sun went down. I left the worms in the car, so we tipped the lures with a cut up tube jig. We had two bites that evening, but they didn't hang on. I suspect the lack of worm made a difference.

In the morning we were on the water just after 6:00 a.m. Things were quiet until just before the sun came up. We trolled two lead core lines out 3 colors with one with pop gear and a worm and one with a dodger/wedding ring/worm combo. We had two other lines out on planar boards running straight back one with pop gear and a worm and the other with a Jakes Lure.

All lines caught fish. We trolled until about 9:30 and put 10 fish in the boat (7 wipers and 3 rainbows). We lost two others right at the boat because the boys reeled them in too far and pulled them out of the water before we could get a net on them.

None of the boys had fished from a boat before and this was there first time catching wiper. They definitely loved the fight they put up!

Here's hoping I can get back on the water a few more times this fall before the ice!
[signature]
Glad the boys caught some fish and catching wipers is always a bonus, was there any size to them?
[signature]
They are bigger than the ones we caught in the spring (thanks captain obvious!) but they still have some growing up to do. I didn't weigh or measure any of them.
[signature]
If any survive until next year, they will start getting some size to them, looks like it was pretty cold up there.
[signature]