Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winterizing 4 stroke outboard
How do you all winterize your 4 stroke outboard for the winter?
[signature]
I run some stabilizer in it on my last outing, then simply do "end of year" maintenance (oil / filter change, lower unit lube, fuel filter, etc.).

Not much to do.
[signature]
Run Stabil thru it my last time out, anything remaining in the tank (I have a small 3 gal. gas tank) I poor any gas from it into my truck. I don't change the oil or lower unit lube until the next season, then I change oil, lube, oil filter, and pull the spark plugs and clean, re-gap, or replace. Motor is 10 years old this past July. Never let me down yet.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[quote fishgiver]How do you all winterize your 4 stroke outboard for the winter?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I take it to Fred's Marine. Very simple and fool proof. [Wink][/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Tin,
You should at least drain your lower unit in the fall. If water has gotten in to your lower, winter temps could cause the water to freeze/expand and split open your motor.
Shane
[signature]
I run Stabil all the time because unfortunately I never know how long my boat will sit between trips. Then I drain the lower oil and replace it with my Amsoil stuff. I also fog the plugs and that's it.
[signature]
Thanks to all, just need to get the correct oils and such.
[signature]
I run stabilizer in fuel year round. I put a can of sea foam in on the last trip. I also change lower unit oil in case water has gotten in and I pull the plugs and spray fogging oil in. Store your motor in the down position and hope for a fast winter so you can go again.😁
[signature]
I would recommend to at least check the lower unit oil for water contamination, if it has water in it, it can crack the case when it freezes.
Also trailer wheel bearings, through out the summer some water will get into the hub, when it sits all winter not moving it can make rust spots on the bearing rollers and bearing failure will happen, if you have bearing buddys I would at least give it a shot of grease before you park it for the winter.
Most of the maintenance is best if done before storage, most boats are worn out from sitting not being used,
the plus side is your ready in the spring for the first warm day after ice out
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]