Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DWR stocking report?
How accurate is the DWR stocking report. Do they leave some things off because they are afraid of back lash they might get?

Reason I ask is that I have been catching a lot of Largemouth Bass (small onesl) out of Minersville. It was common knowledge that they were thinking about putting them in but it has never showed up on the official DWR stocking report.

Talking to some of the fly fishing regulars there they are not happy. One of them said to me that they should just put carp in too.

Yet there are other people that are happy about the LMB.

I have got into a couple of spots where you can catch one on every cast. They are about 8" and super pot bellied. They seem to really like Minersville so far.

As far as the rest of the fishing at Minersville it has really sucked this summer compared to the last few summers.

That being said the big trout have been hitting really good down by the dam the last week or two. Almost nothing under 17",, looking pretty good, and fighting good too.

But for what ever reason there has also been a real noticeable die off of bigger Rainbows. I counted 55 "BIG" dead fish the other day. I measured many over 20"
the biggest one at 25'. Most looked to be healthy,(but dead) with a few having a small skin blemish or two.

That is Minersville I guess.
[signature]
I think they just have so much information that some stuff falls through the cracks. I know of several stockings that have never shown up in many lakes I fish regularly. Some information shows up after a few months.

As far as your fish kill goes, it was probably oxygen deficit from an algae bloom or some other vegetation die off.
[signature]
I could of never get an answer why they quit stocking the wasatch lakes with Cutts.
[signature]
[quote TT600]I could of never get an answer why they quit stocking the wasatch lakes with Cutts.[/quote]

They don’t stock them every year because those lakes have natural reproducing populations and there is no need for yearly stocking. Some lakes are on a 3-5 year stocking schedule. I’ve caught plenty of cutts out of twin, white pine, and bells reservoirs in the last year, so there is definitely plenty of cutts in those lakes.
[signature]
[quote fishnate]

As far as your fish kill goes, it was probably oxygen deficit from an algae bloom or some other vegetation die off.[/quote]

This is exactly what it was....and it isn't unusual for Minersville. The scary thing about Minersville this year is that the small fish that were stocked in the early summer/late spring are not showing up. I know that triploid rainbows sometimes have poor survival rates when stocked and I am worried this is what happened. I don't think Minersville is supposed to be getting triploid bows, but sometimes it happens when hatcheries aren't meeting quotas. I hope that is not the case. As for the LMB, Minersville has been stocked with them in the past. When stocked in the past, the young of the year fish never grew large enough to make it through the winter. It will be interesting to see what happens now...my bet is that only stocked fish will survive and the reservoir will never be able to become a self-sustaining LMB fishery. I hope they are able to stock the heck out of it with bows this upcoming year. It seems obvious that the rainbow number are down...
[signature]
I've seen more than one large Rainbow die from TLC at Minersville. Some of the fly fishermen get a nice 'bow on the line, and either can't, or won't, get them in quickly and released. They fight them on light tippets and keep them in the surface (hypoxic) water so long that they cannot recover. When it's that warm, you should get them in, get the hook out, and release them ASAP.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
Fishrmn, that reminds me of a funny story....quite a few years ago, i was fishing at Minersville from my tube and had kept a 26 inch bow. I had that fish attached to some rope alongside my tube and had continued fishing. After a while, a bunch of other fly fishermen showed up with a guide and I was berated several times by these guys for legally keeping a fish. The funny thing is that many of these guys had their drags set so loosely that they were unable to quickly catch and release their fish. As a result, I was later able to berate these same guys for killing a lot more fish than I had!

You are right, this time of year it is really important to bring fish in quickly and handle them as little as possible...they can be really stressed and die easily from too much handling and stress from being caught.
[signature]
[quote Fishrmn]I've seen more than one large Rainbow die from TLC at Minersville. Some of the fly fishermen get a nice 'bow on the line, and either can't, or won't, get them in quickly and released. They fight them on light tippets and keep them in the surface (hypoxic) water so long that they cannot recover. When it's that warm, you should get them in, get the hook out, and release them ASAP.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF][/quote]

Fishrmn, I was kind of waiting for some else to point that out.[:/]
[signature]