Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 10-1-17
Fished Willard on Sunday. The fishing wasn't as fast as the wind, but it was still fun to get out. Ended up throwing everything and ended up with one catfish. Do the wipers totally shut down in the fall?
[signature]
[#0000FF]They don't shut down, but they do slow down. They are most active when water temps are above 70 degrees. Once the fall temps chill to 60 or less they are less likely to chase lures trolled at the summer speeds. But they will still hit bottom bouncers fished for walleyes...or plastics fished low and slow. And they also slurp mussels on the bottom in the cooler temps.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
How much do the storms affect the bite?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Of course not all storms are the same...and the fish may react differently at different times of the year.

As a general rule, I have found that most species bite best just ahead of a storm...during a falling barometer. But not always. And most species take a while to settle down and begin feeding actively after a storm has passed. I like to wait for at least a couple of days of settled weather ahead of a trip.

Both walleye and wipers have been known to feed actively at least during the early part of a storm. When storm waves wash against the rocks they usually stir up the mud a bit and make the water murky. But both species have sensitive lateral lines and good night vision and can feed in poor visibility conditions. So when wind drives baitfish to shore and they are hampered by poor visibility the predators have an advantage.

All that doesn't mean as much during the colder months of the year. When the fishes' metabolism slows down, so does their feeding activity. So there may not be a big bite before or during a storm. That's when it is best to wait for calm weather...and maybe a warming trend.

Howsomever...the best time to go fishing is whenever you can. I firmly believe that on any given day...under prevailing weather conditions...there are some fish somewhere that will bite...and someone will be catching them even if I am not.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]