Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creeks off the Roanoke.
With the full moon last night I had to give a try to the river. Found two creeks off of one creek off of the river. Nothing till 10:30 when we got some cloud cover. After then I was getting hits and boating Bass every 20 mins or so. I did notice the locals came up these creeks as well, so I felt better about my finding these places. Went to the Sweet Potato worm then changed to a June bug color 10" worm with a chartruse curly tail. This started to catch bigger fish in the 2-3 lb category. With this bite still hot I'll be back on Monday unless it's raining. NO I don't like to fish in the rain, those days are over. LOL Get out to your favorite creek and get a line wet while the fall bite is on.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, sounds like you had a nice day. Can't say I heard of a Sweet Potato worm but then again I'm not a bass fisherman. Can you post a pic of what it looks like?
[signature]
http://www.wavefishing.com/5-Tiki-Stick-...p_649.html Heres a link to their product. But I also had luck on pumpkin with a chartreuse tail and the old stand by watermelon with flake. Monday these three got me 5 bass but again all dinks. I still freak out fishing in shorts in Oct for large mouth. A fellow Basser I met at the dock also had luck on worms. I may keep at it into winter months and see when it dies off. Stripers do come back up river in Jan. so thats a temptation as they never came up last spring. They never dropped the water level then. I'm running 2 1/2 - 3 miles up these small creeks and I still find branches off them. Loving the challenge for sure. You fellow NC fisherman, get out and throw a worm and catch some bass. Till next week. [fishon]
[signature]
Wow, that's an odd color but maybe that is why it works, when bass see the same thing a lot they can be hard to catch but changing the color up can be just the ticket sometimes. Have you heard of the Ned rig? I just bought some of them recently, suppose to be the next big thing.
[signature]
I did try a finess worm last Saturday but it didn't connect. Used a fatter worm by WAVE and they grabbed it. Took 5 shorts that day. Water still in the upper 60's here. Seems like half the guys out there are fishing for Brim. Still seems strange for me to see 17 trailers in the lot at the end of Oct. Up north I would have been alone. But there is a strong fishing interest in the south. I did stop by the bait shop to thank one of the guys there for all his help to this poor boy.
[signature]
Wow that is warm water but it likely never gets too cold there, does it? Maybe during Winter[:/]. You said,"Took 5 shorts that day.", sorry for my ignorance but what is a short?
[signature]
Shorts or Dinks are bass that don't make legal length. Here it's 14 inches. Went out today for a few hours in Williamston. Not even a nibble. Getting late in the season, but I'll try again next week. Back to Jamesville for me.
[signature]
OK, good to know. Even if the catching wasn't good, I bet it was still good to get out there and give it a try. Hope you have better luck at Jamesville.
[signature]