Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
huntington 10/10 report
Got the new boat up to Huntington today.. fishing was great today.. caught a bunch of fish!! Even got 4 cutthroat today.. in my last 15 years fishing Huntington I have only caught 1 cutthroat.. so that was something today to catch 4 in one trip.. all together we caught around 38 fish today with 3 coming in at around 3 lbs the rest were 12 to 18 inch fish.. a red side shiner pattern in a 3 inch minnow and red side shiner rapala cd 3 inch was just killing it today.. we missed a bunch of fish was fast all day tell around 3:30 then slowed way down.. so packed it in and called it a day..
[signature]
Ron,

Nice fish! From your photographs, I see nice shoreline for shore fishing. It's on my list of places to fish. I also hope to find some interesting unpaved trails with camping permissible without paying the cost of a motel building for just a slab and picnic table which I don't need. Since you've been fishing there for years, how do the camping possibilities look there?

We have some comfortable weather before we have to bundle up for ice fishing, so I want to combine enjoying the area with camping and shore fishing.
[signature]
Ron, great report. Tell us about your new boat. It looks like Huntington is going to be the place to be on early ice. In all of the years that I have fished Huntington (and hundreds of fish caught by myself and my fishing buddies) we have never caught a cutthroat.
[signature]
there are lot's of camp spot's all over up there for camping neer the lake and if ya dont mind a walk there are more primitive areas as well.. it's all free up there for now.. at least..

and for the invite to to fish i would be up for that but ya got to fish during the week.. thats when i go most the time. [cool]
[signature]
well kent not so much a new boat, it's my old starcraft cuddy cab. it had a in-board 125 horse outdrive. now it has a 70 horse Yamaha outbord (that need's new high elvation jet's) it's not done yet still got some carpet and trim to put in but it's looking a lot better then when i started..
[signature]
Lookin' good.
[signature]
10/10 indeed! What a great day. Makes me wish I had more fall days for fishing. Why does everything good happen in September and October?
[signature]
here is a pic of the minnow's we were using yesterday.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. How was it launching your boat up there.
[signature]
the water ended right at the end of the ramp so was mud past that. we stayed on the ramp with the truck no problem..
[signature]
Thanks, Ron! Huntington now tops my fishing destination list and I expect I'll get some time to camp and fish there soon!

One of the most difficult fishing questions that I get is: "What is my favorite place to fish?" I have some that top my list of enjoying the most, but my choice of where to fish next is seldom where I've fished before because I generally choose to fish at places that are new to me. I like adventure and seeing new places and now with a Utah State Parks annual pass and a nice vehicle to take me to the many State Parks, I'll be fishing in new places most times.

I do tend to repeat fishing at Flaming Gorge a lot mainly because a very good friend has a house and boat there and often invites me, but the area is huge and has plenty of new places to fish and now with a vehicle that can handle rough and unpaved trails well, I have more new places to fish there and want to focus on combining shore fishing with camping at the shore in beautiful places. What intrigues me the most about that location is getting very good depth right from shore.

Still, I'm going to prioritize going to State Parks that are new to me. Likely Huntington is next.
[signature]
thats an awesome pattern!
[signature]
RonPaul. The Huntington Lake Fuzzy is talking about is not a State Park. Its also now known as Mammoth Reservoir. There is a Huntington State Park down by the town of Huntington. Lots of people get Confused with the two.

Fuzzy nice job on the Boat Rehab. And good looking lures you whipped up. Thanks for the Awesome report.
[signature]
Thanks, Kokanee! I needed to know that.

I suppose I might get that new Deeper and lake mapping to pick shore camping that combines good depth right from shore for when the fish are running deeper.

Ronald. Smile
Have they changed the size of horse powered motor u can have on there? I always thought it was 10 or less?
[signature]
It is 10 hp or less.
[signature]
it is 10 or less. and i got a 8 horse honda.. but the 70 horse yamaha right now with out the right jets and the right controller box will not push the boat faster then the 8 horse can . but was easyer to control in the wind. and as long as your not flying around the lake like i have seen in the past it's really not that big of a deal.. all day i never had my boat going faster then 2.8.. [crazy]
[signature]
So, the fact that u say the 70 horse got used, jetted or not, because the 8 couldn’t do much, is wrong not matter how fast u went and tells me that it isn’t no 10.. basically, ur saying any size of horse power can be used as long as u don’t go over 2.8? Which leads me to believe that if u didn’t have that bigger motor, u wouldn’t have caught all these fish.. Rules are rules, laws are laws and they were broken on this trip and most likely this post needs to be removed by a moderator and hopefully those cuts were turned back into the lake since it is also illegal to keep any cut out of there as well..
[signature]
Good grief Jackwagon. Don't you have bigger things to worry about.
[signature]
ok troll go play somewhere else!!
[signature]