Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baitcast reels
I have just received a Quantum CX200 Baitcast reel from my brother-in-law for some carpentry work I did for him. I have never used a Baitcast reel. All my rigs are spinning reels. I can see it is going to take some practice to be able to use this reel. It came on a medium/heavy rod, which I llike very much. All my other rods are medium action.<br><br>I am very grateful to my brother-in-law for giving me this reel. Although this reel would not be a reel I would purchase myself, I feel I can learn the how too's about baitcast reels. I have done extensive research on baitcast reels for about two years now. I came to the conclusion several months ago that the baitcast reels I would purchase would be only Shimano.<br><br>Since I have never used a baitcast reel before, I have a few questions. First, I noticed after casting that I had to switch the rod to my left hand because the reel handle is on the right. Is this how all baitcast reels are made? All my spinning reels have the reel handle on the left side, which is assume is correct for a right hander. All the baitcast reels in all my catalogs have the reel handle on the right side. My brother-in-law says this is how baitcast reels are made. Is he right? I assumed this reel was for a left hander.<br><br>Second. With my 1/4 oz. practice plug on the line I have found I have very little control of my casts. I have since added a 3/8 oz. water gremlin rubbercor sinker and have increased my accuracy. Am I doing myself a disservice in adding this weight as I learn how to use this type reel? Should I just stick with the 1/4 oz. plug until I get it right?<br><br>I could really use any and all suggestions that may help me in learning to use a baitcast reel. Thanks, Joshua<br><br> <br><br><br><br>
Joshua,<br> This is a perfict time to use the info that I posted about The Art of Fishing. Thank you for your kind words about it. you have a product that if you apply the three steps as I explained, You will master the art of using that baitcast reel. Listen, Watch and Do. Just that simple. SEED, GROWTH and MATURE.<br>I personaly have not seen this type of reel with the handle switched to the other side. It seems to be uniform through the manufactures.<br>As for the chainging from your plug to other items, I have found that practicing with what you are planing to use in your quest might seem to take longer to master, But you will be more acurate when you hit the water.<br><br>Texas Gulf Coast Fisher.
HI JOSHUA, IT'S A STRANGE THING ABOUT BAITCASTERS. IF YOU ARE RIGHT HANDED YOU TEND TO CAST WITH YOUR RIGHT HAND "THUMBING" THE SPOOL AND THEN SWITCH HANDS TO RETRIEVE OR CRANK THE REEL. WHERE ON A SPINNING REEL YOU CAST WITH YOUR RIGHT HAND AND RETRIEVE (CRANK) WITH YOUR LEFT HAND. NOW THEY DO MAKE LEFT HANDED BAITCASTERS MEANING THAT THE HANDLE IS ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE REEL. AS YOU INCREASE YOUR SKILL LEVEL WITH A BAITCASTER YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER SWITCHING TO A LEFT HANDED REEL. IN THE INSTANCE OF SAY "FLIPPING" OR "PITCHING" A LURE WHERE CASTING WITH YOUR RIGHT HAND AND BEING ABLE TO INSTANTLY ENGAGE YOUR REEL WITH YOUR LEFT HAND WITH OUT HAVING TO SWITCH HANDS. I HAVE TRIED A LEFT HANDED REEL ON A COUPLE OF OCCASIONS AND ALTHOUGH IT MAKES SENSE TO BE ABLE TO INSTANTLY ENGAGE THE REEL WITHOUT HAVING TO SHIFT THE ROD FROM ONE HAND TO THE OTHER ITS KINDA ACKWARD TO MAKE AN ADJUSTMENT. HOPE THIS HELPS. OH AND ALSO IN REGARDS TO YOUR CASTING PLUG I WOULD USE THE SAME WEIGHT THAT YOU INTEND TO USE THE ROD FOR. FOR EXAMPLE IF YOU WANT TO THROW JIGS WITH IT. THEN THROW A CASTING PLUG CLOSE TO THE SAME WEIGHT, THIS WAY YOU GET THE SAME FEEL AND DEVELOP HAND EYE COORDINATION TO A POINT WHERE IT BECOMES NATURAL LIKE SECOND NATURE.<br><br>
On this one I say cheat whenever you can. To do this you first need to barrow a kid and take to a local fishing shows or contests where the "casting kids" are having their casting contest for kids to win possible scholarships.<br><br>They have four basic casts that you will be able to master in a mater of minutes just by watching the kids.<br><br>There are four cast that are commonly used with bait casters:<br>The short pitch and long pitch<br>The overhead cast<br>The side cast <br>The two-handed body cast<br><br>Other than this SHAKA and ssor have covered the rest.<br><br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>Lookie See what the kids are up to.<br>Dave T. Clown
Thanks ssor, Shaka and DaveTClown for the pointers. Will keep them all in mind.<br><br>