Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall Bass?
I was wondering if there are any one on here that like of fish for bass in the fall.

I would like to do more bass fishing this fall but don't won't to waist a bunch of time trying to figure it all out.

If you have any info that you are willing to share i would appreciate the info.

Where to go, technique, and time of day to be most affective, and along with any other info.

Thanks

Shawn
[signature]
No matter what you ultimately will have to figure it out for yourself, but... YouTube is a tremendous reference to get you going. I'd search the "Wired 2 Fish", "Tactical Bassin" "Tackle Warehouse" and "Flukemaster" channels among others and search "fall bass fishing." That will get you started.

Fall is a great time of year to fish for bass. Don't worry too much about the cold weather, but pay attention to water temperatures. You can catch bass all year long, they are constantly looking for opportunities to eat, but as it gets colder they don't have to eat as often. They will feed pretty actively until the water drops below 50. Deep diving cranks, lipless cranks, spinnerbiats, swimbaits, jerkbaits should work well at moderate speeds. I like to fish rock on a moderate slope from 1' to 15' deep.

When the water drops below 50 continue to use deep diving cranks, swimbaits and spinnerbaits dragged slowly along bottom. Jerkbaits with longer pauses (3 - 10 seconds) still work. Dropshots and Senkos rigged wacky or Texas style can be super cuz they just sit there in front of the fish and are easy targets. Drop a little deeper like 10' to 20' off a moderate to steep slope.

I catch bass clear up to a week or two before ice up with these lures and technics. Early morning, mid day afternoon have all treated me well at times. It's taken me many years to figure it out so you may not get it this year, maybe you will. Good luck!

I've done well in the fall at places like Pelican, Steinaker, Mantua, Newton, Hyrum and would imagine Utah Lake, Deer Creek, Jordanelle or the community ponds would produce as well.
[signature]
Fishnate thanks for the information. I have watched so so many youtube videos on fall bass fishing. I think the bass fishing her in utah is more complex then what those guys make is seem from other states.

Me a friend went to mantua two weeks ago and fished it two different days. We fish for a good 5 plus hours both days and only caught a couple fish each day. (We even went on the days of low pressure).

I guess i have one question. When does the bass fall bite get good? I am guessing its like the bite in the spring, but i could be wrong. One more question, when the water temp drops below 50, and lets say i am at Mantua, where do i go cause there are not many ledges or slopes up there?

Thanks again for all the info.
[signature]
Fall bass can be caught but it's not as easy as the magazines and videos make it look. The last article I read talked about deep water tactics in the fall. It talked about isolated structure in the creek beds and not to be afraid to fish 25' or more...
All I can really say is that the bass here will be between 10' and 125' of water. It gets tough. I have better days than others but a dropshot is my go-to technique for fall fishing.
In my experience the bite here is nothing like the bite in the springtime.
[signature]
This year has been kind of weird. I've struggled to get both numbers and size, and usually fall is my favorite time to go.

The weather has been quite unsettled and it seems to be slowing things down. Also a lot of places have a lot more water this time of year than usual because of the huge snow pack last winter. It has the fish spread out and harder to find. I'm hoping this warming trend will continue on through the next couple of weeks so I can get out for a couple more bass trips.

I much prefer clear water when temps get down into the 50s and lower. Suspending jerkbaits and small swimbaits like a 4" Keitech Swing Impact or Easy Shiner on a 3/16 or 1/8 oz ball head are my go to baits in clear, cold, water along with a drop shot. Often times in the fall, once you do find the fish, you can find a lot in a small area. A fish finder is invaluable this time of year. I've also been doing quite well fishing bluegill colored jigs along deep break lines in the fall.

In the years when the fish are more active in the fall, I've had days where they just hammer a lipless crank or jerkbait fished quickly, even in water down in the upper 40s. It really does seem to vary from year to year and lake to lake.
[signature]
Go throw a bandit 300 rootbeer color
Try different speeds, but always bump the bottom.
[signature]
Gstott

Thanks for the info folks. Gstott, i agree that the finder is very important, BUT, I am not totally sure that i am utilizing mine to the fullest potential.

I have a hummingbird 899 SI Down scan. I have watched lots of videos on youtube to try and understand it, but when it come time to figure it out its hard to know if i am doing it right. If you don't have the right setting set and you go past structure but your using the wrong sonar.

I need to go fish with someone, or have some one come with me that uses humming bird to help me dial my humming bird skills.
[signature]
There are some pretty good steep banks with rock over by The Knoll area. I would try that area with the techniques I mentioned. I mostly fish Idaho, but I've done well in the that spot in March with chilly temps, so I would imagine it would fish well right now.

I actually fish from a float tube, so my finder is a super basic Fishin Buddy. Still, it lets me find drops offs, deep weed beds and concentrations of fish, so it's still been a big help.
[signature]
Sorry I've been away from my computer for a couple days. I'll comment below.

[quote 14gills]Fishnate thanks for the information. I have watched so so many youtube videos on fall bass fishing. I think the bass fishing her in utah is more complex then what those guys make is seem from other states.

Me a friend went to mantua two weeks ago and fished it two different days. We fish for a good 5 plus hours both days and only caught a couple fish each day. (We even went on the days of low pressure).

I guess i have one question. When does the bass fall bite get good? I am guessing its like the bite in the spring, but i could be wrong. One more question, when the water temp drops below 50, and lets say i am at Mantua, where do i go cause there are not many ledges or slopes up there?

Thanks again for all the info.[/quote]

I don't think our bass waters are terribly complex. We don't have quite the same pressure on our bass that they do back east or further west. The biggest difference is that our waters are bluegill and crayfish based rather than shad based. Instead of going to the backs of creek channels, we look in different areas for forage and find the bass. Also many of our waters are drawdown reservoirs rather than natural lakes so bass are located in different areas in the fall.

You asked about where to find bass at places like Mantua. Well last fall at Pelican I found bass out on the deep weed edges (only 6' to 7' deep) and dragged spinnerbaits along bottom and caught a bunch just about 3 weeks before ice up. Try that.

Fall fishing should be great right now, but in the fall fish moods seems to change rapidly from day to day. Just keep trying and you'll find them.
[signature]
Caught this 17" bass today at Echo fly fishing from shore. I dont target them but usually catch a few every fall while targeting stillwater browns.
Catch a lot of largemouths on the jordan river in the winter too. When it gets cold marabou jigs work well or leech flies. Low and slow.
[signature]
Lake Powell doesn't count, that place is an anomaly [Wink]
[signature]
[quote fsh4fun05] Lake Powell doesn't count, that place is an anomaly [Wink][/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I didn't know that! [laugh][/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I went out on Steinaker last Saturday after a mean cold front on Friday. High air temp on Friday was 70 and we had 30 to 40 mph winds and rain. Then on Saturday the high was 50 with clear skies and 5 to 15 mph winds. Water was 50-51 degrees. I was able to scratch a few LM bass on deep diving crankbaits. Can't wait to go again!
[signature]
Fall is a great time to catch trophy size LMs, but as mentioned, you have to put your time into finding their holding locations on your given body of water. On my home waters, that occurs in 30-40' of water. The colder the water gets, the slower and smaller you'll need to go. Jigs, small swimbaits, and drop-shots all work nicely in clear, cold water. Don't be afraid to go lighter on your tackle as well, but make sure you are getting your baits down on the bottom (at least down here). They will school up on my home waters, so once you find an actively feeding school, you should catch several in that spot...and that spot can produce for most of the fall into winter. Once water temps fall into the 40's, you REALLY have to slow down your presentation and be patient. Common to have very light takes and you have to be paying attention. Our waters don't freeze down here, so we can catch them year round without all that ice gear, lol! Having said that...nothing beats springtime, NOTHING! Smile
[signature]
I have been fishing the fall and winter for the last 4 to 5 years..
Fishing in winter is like fishing in summer, look for the food they eat.. At Powell find the shad, on some days in winter I have had 100 fish days with Stripper Small mouth and Wall Eye..
There are lots of myths about cold water bass fishing made up by people that just do not fish for bass in winter..

Lets brake it down, in summer you fish for bass by moving around a lot by waking the shore or by boat..Here in Utah our lakes ice over so that's out, but Powell is open and fishing is great..
This is what I have found out winter fishing in Utah..
1. Bass feed ALL year long and are easer to catch in winter or cold water if no ice..
2.They school more in cold water (find the food).
3. They are picky-er on lures or bait.
4. You need GOOD electric..( if you don't seeing marks don't fish)

A few years ago when Jordanelle had great bass and lots of water I tried to fish it till I could no longer get my boat on the water, on Jan. 15 the air temp. was -8 and the water was 34 and ice was forming in places I went fishing Jordanelle, CBR was going to go with me but had to work.. I found the bass on the east bank across from the boat ramp and caught bass one after another I called CBR and he put the camera that they use to have at Jordanelle on me and watched me catching bass in -8 temps.. most of the bass was over 3+ lb..And I caught over 50 bass in 3 hr.
Don't put your boats away for the winter head for Powell its great..[crazy]
[signature]
All the above information given has been great. Keep it coming I love it!
[signature]
I have also caught LMB year around. Strangely, not so much on SMB. In fact, I have never caught a small mouth bass through the ice, but have in open water.

Lots of great LMB through the ice. Had a spring fed lake in Idaho where I caught huge LMB on streamers.

In Northern Texas/Louisiana, on Toledo Bend, the best time of the year for 10+ pounders is the winter time.

I still contend that they are moving slower, eating less often, but they school much tighter, in much larger schools, and find the food you will find the bass.

The food will follow the structure. Species of forage will determine which structure they use.