Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake...October Newsletter
[#0000FF][url "http://us14.campaign-archive.com/?u=81543442399c32c0fce942192&id=5cadaf1252"]Fall doin's at Utah Lake[/url]

October newsletter from the Utah Lake Commission.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks TD, surprised there is nothing about the state park dredging. it would be tough to launch there with no docks.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Yeah, like the article says, Pat is da man!
[signature]
[#0000ff]Yeah. I was told they would be underway by now. But haven't heard of any progress other than removing the docks.

I sent a PM to Sam Braegger asking about the status of the dredging. His response is below. Looks like they have still not selected a contractor.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
As to the Provo Dredging, they pulled out all the docks in preparation for the project. The paperwork is with the Purchasing department, but I have not heard if the RFP has been completed yet. We are anxiously awaiting for the project to go to bid, as we would love to see State Park get it done before Memorial Day next year.
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I spent 30 years working for various government agencies, as a subcontractor. I can tell you that working with cities, counties, and States should make one worthy of a medal of honor.

They are inefficient, political, and in general not worth the tax money we give them, but ........... darned if we do and danged if we don't.

If the RFP (request for proposal) is not even done yet, it won't happen this year. Fast Tracking for Government means it will happen next year.

If the RFI is done, then it will take 3 months to put it out to open bids, a month to review the bids, a month or more to award the bids, then the money that was appropriated will be lost and they need to start getting the procurement again. Might happen late spring, but then the water will be high again. Grrrrrr

If they have a JOC contract, a job order contract, then they have a general contractor or a contract manager on board, and the price will be negotiated based on RSMeans or Gordian. The contractor will then hire and direct the work. This procedure tends to work much faster and more efficient, but often is not the least expensive and usually is not done for jobs that large.

In summary, if they are this messed up at this time, I figure that they need to hire a better construction manager to work for the State/Parks.

Sad, really Sad.
I drove out there this morning. Docks still out in the middle of the harbor, no sign of a coffer dam and no heavy equipment. Couldnt find anybody to ask about it.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Blame it on the deer hunt...and then the full moon...and then whatever other excuse you can come up with. They will probably go through them all before the work is done.

Sadly, this was approved two years ago...in principal. It should have been done in 2016 when the harbor almost went dry anyway. Now it is functional again and will be shut down during prime recreation time.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Soothsayer.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I will just say that I'm really glad this is being done. Too bad it wasn't done a couple of years ago while the water was still very low. It would be great if they could get on it just after ice-off, before the higher water comes in again, but...... I rarely use Provo Harbor, with AF being very nearby, but I probably will after it's dredged deeper.
[signature]
Live camera shows nothing but an empty harbor now lol https://video.nest.com/live/wFZqex
[signature]