Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Wednesday 10-25-17
[#0000FF]Launched my red ride at the Willard north marina just after 7:30...still darkish. Thought about trying inside the harbor first, since I have done well on fall harbor dwellers in the past...with water levels as high as they currently are. But opted for heading out and trying for an early 'eye outside along the channel edges.

Met up with WiperHunter and WiperSlayer heading out in their boat just after I cleared the harbor. They went north. Another boat headed south shortly after. Not many boats on Willard today although it sounded like we were under airboat siege out on the marshes. Didn't hear much shooting though.

No walleyes, wipers or crappies were harmed in the making of this report. But quite a few kitties came to play...and saved the day...as usual.

Threw a lot of plastic and some lipless cranks early, while dragging a minnow on a flig (floating jig). Got a couple of taps on the plastics. Nothing on hardbaits. Got lots of interest on the minnow adorned fligs. Got the first cookie cutter kitty by 8 am...on a fire tiger flig. That was the hot color until after the sun hit the water. Then they showed an interest in silver with blue back.

I worked quite a bit of water. Saw lots of shad all the way from shallow (8') out to the deepest I worked...in 17'. I got a few hits in 14' of water but most of my action came from about 11'-12' depths. The Wiper crew later reported they had caught quite a few cats in about 15'.

About mid morning I saw a familiar blue pontube cruising toward me. Turned out to be fellow BFTer Ahi. Good to see you again John. Hope the donated minnows and fligs got you into a few more fish after I left.

Once it became clear the kitties were playful I decided to keep a limit for the smoker. Released about a half dozen but did keep eight. Biggest came on a blue flig and actually fought pretty good for 53 degree water. Started out 52 but got all the up to 53 by noonish.

Beautiful weather today. Catching the fish was just a bonus. Mighta been nicer with a couple of toothy critters or stripy ones thrown in. At least I didn't have to suffer the smell of a stripy black and white furry critter. Love them skunk-repellent kitties.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I figured you couldn't miss that perfect day. Just wondered whether it would be Pineview or Willard. Wish I could have joined you guys that was a beauty of a day. Thanks for a great report. Later J
[signature]
Good to see you out there today Pat. Wish I had learned that lesson about the length of line from the the weight to the Fig before we were just about done for the day but all in all it tuned out to be a nice day. Lots of cats out playing today.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I had originally planned to hit Pineview. But it has not really turned on yet. Those fish will keep on keeping on until iceup. Maybe a "trick or treat" session on Pineview next week.

Lemme know if you can get free and wanna gang up on 'em.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]It was good to see you and Ira too. Glad you had been able to find some "store-bought" fligs. Lots of different options readily available. It is a proven concept with a lot of anglers.

Sometimes the length of leader above the weight can make a big difference. On any given day you might have to experiment a little. You wouldn't think those cats would be so picky but as you probably discovered they do respond better when you get your offerings in the right zone. And there will be times when you can change up the length to appeal more to wipers or walleyes. Fun, fun.

I think I sent you a copy of my new writeup on using Fligs. I will post it here for anyone else who might like more info.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TD, great report. I love me a bunch of kitties. My slings come of and the shoulder is feeling pretty good. If the wind doesn't come up, I'm going to make it out there this afternoon.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Howsomever, the forecast is for the wind to start picking up about midday.

Good luck.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Pat, I'll have to get back with you on the trick or treat session... I have been off so much last week, I'm not sure I can take off another day... I'll have to check and see where my work load is by then... If I'm caught up, I may join you... Thanks for the invite.. J
[signature]
Its always great running into fellow BFTers on the water.
No luck in the marina. a few little taps on the rod but no takers. If not for the kitties at Eagle beach I would be singing the Willard skunk blues. Thank for the minnows and fligs. Also Thank you WiperHunter and WiperSlayer for the jump start. cant believe I forgot to tune my lights off. Guess it happens a lot this time of year when its still dark when you start off then light when you get where you're going.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Glad we were able to assist you John, did you have to put it on the charger after you got home?
[signature]
no alternator charged it back up [bobWink]
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast