Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trophy Brown trout guide
Anyone ever went on a guided Brown trout fishing trip to the Great Lakes? I want to book a trip with a guide that targets trophy Brown trout. Any help is appreciated.
[signature]
I don’t know of any guides, but a google search should bring up many. I do know of some guys that go flyfish the Great Lakes tributaries and catch some giant browns. It’s all relative though. A 10-12 lb. brown from back there wouldn’t even raise an eyebrow. Just like a 10-12 lb. laker from Flaming Gorge would not be anything special. I bet it would be a great trip though! Great chance at browns over 30”.
[signature]
wibigfish web site eric haatja. Excellent guide. If he's booked during your time frame but he can recommend other guides Get him if you can.
[signature]
I just email him. It looks like he knows what he is doing. Have you fished with him?
[signature]
That is funny that stan55 suggested Eric, I just fished with him last month. When I saw your post I was going to tell you about Eric but Stan beat me to it. Eric fishes all year long, but there are some months better than others for brown trout,, because they are more likely to be where he fishes during certain parts of the year. I fished primarily for kings since they were schooling up. He asked if I wanted to try and go after browns, but the kings were biting like crazy on roe and we would have to go further offshore and troll for the browns during that time of year. And the troll bite was not good that day based on other reports. So I stuck with the kings and easily caught 10 over 20 pounds. That is the only type of fish I caught because we were fishing the entrance to the harbors, where the kings were schooling up and the other fish were further offshore. And since I was chartered him myself, I got to pick how we fished and what we targeted. But I would much rather catch a large brown, but I just couldn't pass up the non stop king action.

Eric did tell me that there are better months for browns and better years as well, but this will be the best year for a long time due to lower or non existent stocking. You can also catch steelhead and lake trout, and all of these fish are regularly in the 20 pound plus range, though the kings are probably consistently the largest. But i too really want to catch a 20 pound plus brown.

I flew into Ohare and drove the little over 1 hour to Racine where we launched from. He also launches from Milwaukee harbor (another 30-45 minutes) depending on where they are biting. But it seems a lot easier to just fly into Ohare as there are direct flights and the drive is not too far.

I really want to get out during ice fishing and go after them that way. But open water is also fun. The thing I am bummed about is that I've been out to Chicago five times this year, and only figured out about him during my last trip. Would have went out every time I went out there if I had known earlier.
[signature]
Thanks for the information. I can't wait to here from him. I think this is going to be my best chance to catch a giant brown now that they quit stocking them.
[signature]
Do you already know the time frame you might head out there? I almost went this coming week but just got back from a long trip so decided against it.
[signature]
I'm not sure yet. I just emailed him tonight and I want to see what he has available.
[signature]