Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scofield 10/27 report
went to Scofield Yesterday. was a fun fishing trip fast fishing must have caught around 60 fish on the day most were small 1/2 lbs Cutthroat's with 0ne good sized Rainbow and a nice over the slot by one inch Cutthroat with a 6 inch chub in it's mouth and still tried to eat my 5 1/2 inch chub minnow pattern.. we missed so so many we could not count so it was a fun day.. was hoping to get a wipper but not-a.. oh-well a great day up there. we were the only boat on the lake and catching was fast! could not be better weather other then the cold wind most the last part of the day.. no fish were kept all went back to help control the chub's..
most everything we used we got hit's on but the light Chub pattern by far did the best. in a 5 1/2 inch and 3 inch. the cutthroat pattern and shiner pattern did well to..

no chub were caught at all this trip.. [crazy]
[signature]
That first bow has some unique markings! Sounds like a good day!
[signature]
i think that was the one and only tiger trout we caught that day...
[signature]
nice looking cutthroat.
that rainbow looks horrible.
tiger is quite pretty.
[signature]
lol the Rainbow was big 18 inch but i think it was fresh out the planting truck.. [Wink]
[signature]
Loved reading that report, and sounds like you had a real fun day. Makes me want to go up there and try it, especially since I haven't seriously fished Scofield for a few years. I'm happy to hear the cutthroats are doing well in there, and I hope they're munching plenty of those chubs.
[signature]
Sounds good, like to hear an improving report for that pond. Thanks for sharing it. Later J
[signature]
Thanks for the report. That first photo though. Wow! I'm pretty sure it is a cutthroat with unique markings and not a tiger trout. The paired fins and tail say cutthroat but those "donut-like" spots say tiger. Interesting looking fish for sure.
[signature]
It is interesting. The number of spots on the head, and particularly between the eyes, say its not a cutthroat. But many other characteristics on that fish lean towards cutt.

Like I said before, it is quite pretty.
[signature]
Herr is a better pic
[signature]
Thanks. Yeah. Based on the coloring and spot pattern in all the fins, I would say it's a freak Bonneville/Bear Lake cutthroat trout with those large "donut-shaped" spots on the body. Cool Fish!
[signature]
I'm thinking it was a Halloween costume, the cut dressing up as a tiger... J
[signature]
So, this fish brings up an interesting question.

What if this was caught out of lake "X" and lake X had special regulations on cutties and keeping cutties of this size, etc., was illegal.

But if this was a tiger, it would be legal.

What would the fisherman, state DNR officers do?

My first observation would be it was a Tiger, and if Tigers were in that lake, Lake X, then I would argue it was legal to take.

[crazy]
[signature]
Looks like a fun day Ron. I drove past there yesterday, it was very windy, but I still saw one boat on the water. I haven't seen the lake this full in fall for quite some time. Probably be a good ice fishing year up there.

My friend has a cabin up that way, and said that for a lot of summer it was spilling. He said truckloads of chubs went over the spillway. The river below the dam was just chock full of them.
[signature]
I read your post killerbee about the chubs going over the dam and I thought, “yep, I had a friend tell me the exact same thing just last week. Tons of chubs spilling into the river during the summer. He said it was fun pulling them out just as fast as you could.” Then I looked at your name and realized we we are talking about the same friend.
[signature]
Any Chance you grabbed a water temP?
[signature]
[quote JJ-fisher]Any Chance you grabbed a water temP?[/quote]

The water temperature was 41 degrees last Sunday.
[signature]
Anyone want to guess when the lake will be ready for Ice fishing? I see cold cold night temps the last week. I want to go Friday and check it out. Anyone up for a drive and maybe some fishing?
[signature]
lol temps have been in the high 30's all week.. i don't think you'll find any ice even on huntington or Cleveland..
[signature]