Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake
need help, last time I fished Bear Lake was 20 years ago.. my son wants to go try this week-end... where's the best place to put boat in...we used to put in at sweetwater...any tips on trolling would be appreciated etc,etc thanks
[signature]
Can't help on the trolling tips but I think all the ramps are still in the water the state parks web page will let u know for sure usually just put in at the marina and go from there because that east side can get ugly to get a boat on the trailer if the wind blows heading up Tuesday I'll let u know how it is
[signature]
Put in at the state park marina and go from there. Good spots right now would be right in front of the marina in about 15-25 feet of water pulling minnow lures or bright nickle and blue spoons. Another good spot is out on the rockpile just off of ideal beach resort using the same lures. The water there is deeper and trolling to the north and east of the rockpile in 40-65 feet can be good. Vertical jigging on the rockpile can be good as well instead of trolling. Use 1/2-1 ounce jighead with 3.5" white or rainbow colored jigs tipped with a piece of sucker, carp, etc. Fish that within a foot and a half or so of the bottom and it should get you some tugs. Use your sonar to look for fishy marks on the bottom to save a little time in the search, but if your not seeing any on the sonar on the rockpile just fish anyway.... They will be there.

Good luck!

Mike
[signature]
I'll agree with these two before me, they know the lake well... The east side has ramps, but if the wind comes up it is pure ugly trying to get your boats loaded in the waves... I've become a state park marina launcher just to avoid the waves that might show up... Also if you're going to troll, you will need a way to get deep... Down rigger or leaded lines or any of the other methods you are familiar with so you can drop to the needed depth... If you don't have that try where Mike suggested at the marina or else try the jigging... Good luck and maybe I'll be over there as well... Weather looks a little dicey so I may not try it... If it's windy I don't wanna play over there... If it's calm and stormy or cold I may be there.... Good luck and be careful, make sure you're safe...Later Jeff
[signature]
Are you guys chasing the cutthroat or the lakers this time of the year?
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
hopefully some nice cutthroat..and if the wind shows up we'll wait a week..and I agree loading boat at marine is safer and much easier once years ago tried to load boat in wind.. time boat was loaded everyone was drenched
[signature]
Last year the waves busted my trailer to pieces as I tried to load in the waves. I lucked out and got the boat on first try or else I probably would have totaled the boat too. Wind is no fun to load boats in for sure. Looking like rain/snow mix for the weekend so I may grow feathers and chicken out. May try something closer. Good luck. J
[signature]