Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canoe fishfinder
I purchased a canoe over the summer, its fun as a canoe is. Now that I've replenished my funds Im looking at getting a fishfinder for it. I have taken a look at a few of them and wanted to know what experience any of you have had with these.
GARMIN Striker 4cv sonar/gps
GARMIN Echomap chirp 43cv with LakeVu (I have found this for 240, are the maps worth it?)
Lowrance Hook 3x DSI sonar, Hook 4x mid/high sonar or 4 mid/high HDI base map
Hummingbird Piranha MAX 4DI, Helix 5 Sonar G2, 5 DI sonar

I know I list a handful. Originally is was looking at sub 150. Then I talk myself into others because of cool features, not to much over etc... I know I am just on a canoe. I just want something good, dependable and has some good tools. I've even seen some old school ones on KSL.

Welcome and feedback/questions

\thanks
[signature]
All of the finders you have listed are good units but I would recommend not getting one with Down imaging. I have it on my Humminbird and IMO it was a waste of money, I wish I had spend more and got one with Side imaging. Here is a link to some on the float tubing board, that TubeDude has put together, that might be of help with your decision:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
[signature]
Oh boy did you open a can o worms.... You do know this is the Chevy, Ford / Dodge deal right? Probably a little more info from you may help, like do you ice fish? If so I would assume you will want to take the finder with you on the ice... Also a canoe isn't the easiest to permanently mount transducers, and they are also prone to possible tip overs... These may change your answers... I have a hand full of different finders now days from Eagle, to Humminbird, Lowrance, Sonarphone by Vexilar and the new one a Marcum... Knowing what you will be using it for, I might recommend one that you won't expect... I'd go with the Sonarphone (assuming you have a smart phone or tablet with wifi capability)... They are around a $100 and they do a pretty good job as a fishfinder. The step up has mapping capability (uses Navionics and lets you create your own maps) which adds the GPS that is very nice to have as well.. (Around $160 I think) This gives you a good start into finders, it's very mobile, can be used on ice... Not as accurate as the Marcum, but a good over all use for any type fishing condition... Would be my first entry level finder knowing what I know now... Only thing you will need extra battery life for your phone, especially in the winter... I just plug in a 10,000 mili-amp-hour battery pack and it works great... If you want to know the best finder I'd go with the Marcum LX-7, but can't do everything with that one, but what it does, it does very well... Good luck... J
[signature]
I've got a Garmin Striker 4 and am quite happy with it. I use it in my canoe and on my pontoon tube. Very clear screen and I love the GPS for waypoints and for trolling speed. I just bought a Scotty transducer mount at Amazon for the canoe which I hope will work much better than the PVC I'm currently using.
[signature]
Here's a photo of my Garmin Striker 4 showing a stack of bluegill, just what you want to see sitting under your canoe [cool]
[signature]
I also have the Garmin 4 with GPS that I use on my inflatable kayak (2 years). I also have a elec. motor and troll so the GPS for MPH is invaluable.

There are much more experienced people on here to provide inside for ice fishing and side-view, etc, but one thing that I love about the Garmin is the readable screen, even in bright sunlight. Other vendors likely have very bright and clear screens, but this is huge when in direct sunlight and you want to pay attention to this feature, or lack of.

I looked at some cell phone-based options but when you look at your cell phone in direct sunlight I think you will be disappointed, even with the brightness all the way up.

Just my 2 cents.
[signature]
I like to troll with my canoe in early Spring, places like EC or Rockport, when fish aren't much deeper than 15'.....if you'd prefer something less 'techy' you might consider Hummin Bird's "fishin buddy" fish finder...I have the 130, with side finder, great on my canoe and was also my first ice fish finder (always let someone else borrow it now) 6 AA batteries last about 3 trips...I've always liked the audio 'beep' when a fish is right by your bait....Guluk...
[signature]
I have the Garmin you mentioned.

Not saying it was the right choice or the best choice, just that I've caught a crap ton of fish with it and would recommend it to family and friends.
[signature]