Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Biology Update fall 2017
[#0000FF]I maintain fairly regular communications with Chris Penne, DWR biologist for Willard Bay. On my last fishing trip my observations were that there seemed to be an unusual number of shad...compared with previous years at this time. I emailed Chris with a report and some pics. I also asked if he has completed his fall netting survey and will be putting together his annual report.

As he usually does, he replied promptly with some good info. See attached. In addition to his remarks he included a brief mp4 file showing clouds of shad coming up between the electrodes while electro shocking. If your computer will not bring up that attached file, I have edited in a screen capture in the PDF file.

As you can read in his reply, Chris welcomes input and questions from BFT members...and he is good about providing REAL answers.

Thanks again, Chris. We appreciate your work and your communications.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the report, it looks like the shad have really been great success this year. We'll have to see how this affects the next few years. I'd love to see more walleye stocking.

It seams every water ecosystem does evolve, some make very drastic changes. Many things affect those changes, we can make an influence as a concerned group of people. The important part is to speak up in an informed way.
Pat your help is very much respected and I am greatful for your part.
I feel we should do our part to help the planners and enforcers of our resources. Always with respect and always start with knowledge.
I hope each year will get better.
Just me thinking allowed.
[signature]
Thanks for sharing the great information, Pat.

Chris's report explains why you Willard Bay anglers have been struggling to pick wipers and walleye this year. The fish have just too much of the real thing.[:/]

Chris does a great job and has always been willing to share his knowledge of all things fishing, with anyone.
[signature]
"I feel we should do our part to help the planners and enforcers of our resources. Always with respect and always start with knowledge."

[#0000FF]Great comment. Some Utah gooberanglers have the mindset that it doesn't make any difference what they say...that DWR is going to do whatever they want anyway. I think some of the recent aggressive management plans...along with stocking different species...should reflect that DWR is trying to provide a good angling experience for license buyers.

There are several "seasoned" anglers on this board who maintain contact with DWR personnel and regularly submit their own personal reports on fishing trips...including water conditions, species and sizes caught, other angler successes observed and various ecological conditions evident on each trip. I know that these reports are appreciated by the DWR folks, since they are unable to spend more than a minimal amount of time on each water...and only at limited times each year. Input from anglers helps them to build a broader base of knowledge from which to formulate future management plans.

Unfortunately, all too many Utah anglers are more a part of the problem than the solution. They ignore or violate regulations, litter and vandalize property and then complain about what a lousy job DWR is doing when the spots they trashed are not kicking out limits every time they go there.

During my working years I held a few management positions. One policy I always posted and lived by was "DON'T COMPLAIN...COMMUNICATE". The general idea was never to come to me with a complaint or problem unless you had one or more good potential solutions.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote doitall5000] I feel we should do our part to help the planners and enforcers of our resources. Always with respect and always start with knowledge. [/quote]

Spot on and many are quick to lambast the DNR as armchair fishery managers. I can tell you for 100% fact the DNR in all regions from biologists to mangers to management plans are working to make things better. Get involved and work with justifiable rationale and not whine about back in the day is how I see it.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude]"DON'T COMPLAIN...COMMUNICATE". The general idea was never to come to me with a complaint or problem unless you had one or more good potential solutions.[/b][/#0000FF][/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Exactly how it's done in the military and has been proven to work with tremendous success. I've been involved in several issues with DWR personnel over the years and found them to be attentive and interested in what I had to say. TD & K2 are spot on with their assessment of DWR personnel.

And thanks for the report Pat. [Smile][/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[quote doitall5000]I'd love to see more walleye stocking.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]From Chris' report: "Walleye - we had a lot more walleye in our nets this year. Because of the great shad numbers, all walleye were in great condition and had lots of visceral fat." I'm not against it, but wonder if it would contribute anything to the catch rate.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks for sharing Pat.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Great report! Thanks for sharing, now I hope we have another good winter to keep the lakes and reservoirs near full,
[signature]
To caveat on Dubobs post the Northern Region office in late March into early April from my understanding as I was involved ask for help to set and pull nets capturing Walleye for sterile Walleye program. I had the pleasure of assisting Mr. Penne in March. Asked lots of questions pulling Walleye, Wiper, big Carp along with a few nice Cats from nets 400’ long 4-5 nets.

I also along with others I know also helped with Yuba capturing Northern Pike for Tiger Muskie brooding with DWR Mike Slater, Chris Crockett and other DWR reps and technicians.

It was a learning experience for me personally working with all these fine folks on Willard and Yuba. They work and bust their backsides off.

Get involved
[signature]
Wow good read, thanks dude! Man I love Willard, I'm addicted to screaming trolling rods. Can't say I've enjoyed any other common prededtor. When it comes to Willard Wipers, living in the Ogden area has spoiled me. They are so good on the table, dare to compare! Fighting lil fish for the size. Can't wait for next years toads.... management of Willard, IMO is top notch... I like Willard catfish as much on the table as well... just not line screamers like the Wipers.
Good work and thanks Pat!

Scott
[signature]
[#0000FF]You're welcome. Glad you appreciate it.

As Chris mentioned, he still has to complete crunching the numbers and putting together his reports for the annual findings...and for the "marking" studies of the different stocked species.

Just in case you missed last years' reports, here they are.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]