Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation - Not so Hot
A friend and I fished Starvation today from our kick boats. We launched in Indian Bay around 8:00 with temps in the 30's and no wind.

We used both medium and fast sinking lines and a large number of flies trying to find some the fish liked. The only flies that got any interest were a size 8 black woolly bugger, a size 6 bead head tan/green/pearl soft hackle, and a size 8 bead head black/orange woolly bugger. My friend fished until about 1:00 and I fished until 2:30 and we only managed five fish, all rainbows from 18" to 20" long.

The water temperature was 48 degrees and the visibility was about 6'. The reservoir level is still around 82% full.

We thought the fishing would have been a lot better than it was but that's fishing. We did not see another angler so I guess that should have told us something.[:/]

The last two pictures tell the story of Starvation, she can turn on you before you know it.[Wink]
[signature]
[#0000FF]A real die-hard, ain'tcha?

One of the reasons I am often reluctant to make the longer drive to Starvy is because I hate watching whitecaps...or getting caught in them a long ways from my vehicle...blowing the wrong way.

Glad you got a few tugs anyway.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]
One of the reasons I am often reluctant to make the longer drive to Starvy is because I hate watching whitecaps...or getting caught in them a long ways from my vehicle...blowing the wrong way.
[/#0000ff][/quote]

I'm sure as long as you've been going to Starvation that you have some stories to tell about the wind. Very seldom does it ever blow the way you want to go.[:/]

I've had a few extended carries of the tube back to my vehicle and that is why I purchased the backpack straps.

I'm Going to give Mammoth another try tomorrow. I know it's one of your favorite trout spots. The weather is supposed to be better and the moon a little smaller.
[signature]
[#0000FF]You are right. I have had TOO MANY Starvation Zephyr outings...and I have lots of pictures to prove it. TubeBabe and I have also had to get out and hike back to our vehicle after a sudden unforecast wind blew up and blew us off the lake...well away from where we launched...and with the wind blowing the wrong way...of course.

Good luck at Mammoth. I do love that little lake but it has been going downhill too. A lot more fishermen and a lot fewer fish. Hmmm. That seems to go together a lot. Although there have been some decent reports this year.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]